From: Bob Villa on
When you order a Dell with Ubuntu...of course it DOES have a DVD
player in it!
Many opinions are based how much MS stock we own. I'm not a hater of
Windows (XP is still my fave) but some prejudices are unfounded or
motivated by other gains.

bob
From: BillW50 on
Bob Villa wrote:
> When you order a Dell with Ubuntu...of course it DOES have a DVD
> player in it!
> Many opinions are based how much MS stock we own. I'm not a hater of
> Windows (XP is still my fave) but some prejudices are unfounded or
> motivated by other gains.
>
> bob

Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about the downloadable version of
Ubuntu. So does Dell also offer all of their computers with Ubuntu
installed? Or just some of them?

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: Zack on
Here's to Bill, and really to people who read this thread. I don't
want infinite discussions of operating systems, that is plain silly.
But since some people do read this in seek of advice, I cannot stand
by while you bash a full-fledged, capable operating system, in an
unjustified manner. For one thing, you seem to have reversed some
things: Linux is a better system, that can do more; while it is way
behind Windowds in terms of applications. (Did you confuse an
operating system with applications?) But it does have a solid
application base, and I have used it for years to do work, as serious
as it gets. Bill, you obviously dislike it a lot; fine, it's your
opinion, I don't contest that. But please refrain from offering
*your* opinion as a judgement. People read this. We have a
responsibility to post measured statements. (Why do you have Linux in
your signature when you can only say the worst things about it?
Clearly, *you* should not use that system, so don't.)

I am very careful with advising anyone to start using Linux, because
you do want to learn a bit about it in order to use it fully
effectively. (Did you learn it well? How on Earth do you manage to
get such awful perforance out of it?! Your example sounds simply like
a misconfigured player. Since 1992, you say? And you ask whether one
gets a player with it?! You install software on a Linux system, within
a minute, completely free of any charge or hassle. You can get all
kinds of players, and it's a breeze. You must know that!) Just to
state where I stand: Linux is my preference and choice, for a number
of reasons, and this is the system I use. But I use Windows often
too, and like a lot of things about it. In some sense, we are really
spoiled with options. (While in another sense one can say that it
should all be much, much better.)

Please measure your words man. Otherwise, what you say is obviously
biased and may get dismissed, while I am sure that you have valuable
experience to share. I've learned a lot from this group over years,
and I always followed unbiased advice. Sometimes it meant a lot of
reading to find it. Can we not be a little responsible, to make it
easier to assemble good advice for someone who doesn't know much?

From: Nate Nagel on
On 06/30/2010 08:38 AM, BillW50 wrote:

> And take any distro of Linux and run it on one of these. Throw an
> external 1440x900 monitor on and open up some multimedia video playing
> full screen. And you see that Linux is showing you one frame per 5
> seconds. That is 1/5 of a frame per second. That is just awful!

It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
From: BillW50 on
Nate Nagel wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:10:31 -0400:
> On 06/30/2010 08:38 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>
>> And take any distro of Linux and run it on one of these. Throw an
>> external 1440x900 monitor on and open up some multimedia video playing
>> full screen. And you see that Linux is showing you one frame per 5
>> seconds. That is 1/5 of a frame per second. That is just awful!
>
> It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
> 1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.
>
> nate

I take the scientific approach, Nate. If we get different results, I
believe it should be investigated to learn why? So let's start with what
kind of system are you getting this amazing Linux performance? And what
Linux distro are you using and the version number? And are you using the
stock player or another one?

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 7028G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2/SP3 ~ Xandros Linux
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Thunderbird--windows7--charter