From: BillW50 on
Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:20:59 -0400:
> On 6/30/2010 8:35 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>> Really Bob? Well I am a computer scientist since the 70's. And being a
>> scientist, I don't buy your average BS! And if you believe you are
>> right. Show me any evidence at all that Linux has ever broken 1% of
>> favor with the masses. And if you can, you have some hope of convincing
>> me of something. But if you can't, less than 1% of favor with the masses
>> means nothing. And that is how it is Bob.
>>
>> There has been many promising OS over the decades (and I followed them
>> many times too). But if you can't make it with the masses, it becomes
>> nothing. And Linux has been trying for 18 years now and it is still
>> nothing. That is the truth and I can prove it all scientifically. But
>> you are not interested in proof now, are you Bob?
>>

> Whew! I had to put on my waders to read that response. Imagine! A
> "computer scientist" in our midst! ... Ben Myers

We can *always* count on you, Ben! To take an intellectual conversation
and turn it into an ad hominem one. Can't we?

And by chance Ben isn't just playing dumb this time...

1) Yes scientists do use computers and some even use Dells too.

2) Yes scientists do use the Internet, just like anybody else does.

3) Yes in the early beginnings, the Internet was called ARPANET
(Advanced Research Projects Agency NET). And computer scientists were
its first users. So why shouldn't we be still here?

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: BillW50 on
BillW50 wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:10:31 -0400:
>> On 06/30/2010 08:38 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>>
>>> And take any distro of Linux and run it on one of these. Throw an
>>> external 1440x900 monitor on and open up some multimedia video playing
>>> full screen. And you see that Linux is showing you one frame per 5
>>> seconds. That is 1/5 of a frame per second. That is just awful!
>>
>> It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
>> 1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.
>>
>> nate
>
> I take the scientific approach, Nate. If we get different results, I
> believe it should be investigated to learn why? So let's start with what
> kind of system are you getting this amazing Linux performance? And what
> Linux distro are you using and the version number? And are you using the
> stock player or another one?

I just double checked again and I tried to play a non-copy protected DVD
on this 1440x900 screen. It is very bad! Slow, choppy, and the sound
pauses and starts over and over again.

SMPlayer v0.5.21

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/1/2010 7:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:20:59 -0400:
>> On 6/30/2010 8:35 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>>> Really Bob? Well I am a computer scientist since the 70's. And being a
>>> scientist, I don't buy your average BS! And if you believe you are
>>> right. Show me any evidence at all that Linux has ever broken 1% of
>>> favor with the masses. And if you can, you have some hope of convincing
>>> me of something. But if you can't, less than 1% of favor with the masses
>>> means nothing. And that is how it is Bob.
>>>
>>> There has been many promising OS over the decades (and I followed them
>>> many times too). But if you can't make it with the masses, it becomes
>>> nothing. And Linux has been trying for 18 years now and it is still
>>> nothing. That is the truth and I can prove it all scientifically. But
>>> you are not interested in proof now, are you Bob?
>>>

>> Whew! I had to put on my waders to read that response. Imagine! A
>> "computer scientist" in our midst! ... Ben Myers
>
> We can *always* count on you, Ben! To take an intellectual conversation
> and turn it into an ad hominem one. Can't we?
>
> And by chance Ben isn't just playing dumb this time...
>
> 1) Yes scientists do use computers and some even use Dells too.
>
> 2) Yes scientists do use the Internet, just like anybody else does.
>
> 3) Yes in the early beginnings, the Internet was called ARPANET
> (Advanced Research Projects Agency NET). And computer scientists were
> its first users. So why shouldn't we be still here?

I could not help myself. I feel really humbled to be in the virtual
presence of a real computer scientist... Ben
From: BillW50 on
Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:27:23 -0400:
> On 7/1/2010 7:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>> Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:20:59 -0400:

>>> Whew! I had to put on my waders to read that response. Imagine! A
>>> "computer scientist" in our midst! ... Ben Myers
>>
>> We can *always* count on you, Ben! To take an intellectual conversation
>> and turn it into an ad hominem one. Can't we?
>>
>> And by chance Ben isn't just playing dumb this time...
>>
>> 1) Yes scientists do use computers and some even use Dells too.
>>
>> 2) Yes scientists do use the Internet, just like anybody else does.
>>
>> 3) Yes in the early beginnings, the Internet was called ARPANET
>> (Advanced Research Projects Agency NET). And computer scientists were
>> its first users. So why shouldn't we be still here?
>>

> I could not help myself. I feel really humbled to be in the virtual
> presence of a real computer scientist... Ben

I don't know why? As the computer scientists I know (including myself),
don't think it is any big deal. And I remember a computer magazine
called .info (yes with the dot in front of it) had an article that
talked about the computer scientists. That magazine called us "computer
elite gods"... Anyway some wanted to give the power of computers to the
masses (me included). While another side wanted to keep it out of the
hands of the common people and keep the power of computers to
themselves. Well you know the end of that story. ;-)

From: BillW50 on
BillW50 wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:03:26 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:10:31 -0400:

>>> It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
>>> 1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.
>>>
>>> nate
>>
>> I take the scientific approach, Nate. If we get different results, I
>> believe it should be investigated to learn why? So let's start with
>> what kind of system are you getting this amazing Linux performance?
>> And what Linux distro are you using and the version number? And are
>> you using the stock player or another one?
>
> I just double checked again and I tried to play a non-copy protected DVD
> on this 1440x900 screen. It is very bad! Slow, choppy, and the sound
> pauses and starts over and over again.
>
> SMPlayer v0.5.21

I did all of this testing last year and I am doing it again just to make
sure my memory was right. And I am now playing the same video DVD on
Windows XP on the same model machine. I am using the K-Lite codecs and
Windows Media Player v10 running the 900MHz Celeron at 633MHz on the
external 1440x900 monitor in full screen. It is just beautiful! With CPU
power to spare. Not a lot, but about 15 to 20% still left. ;-)

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 7028G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2/SP3 ~ Xandros Linux
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Thunderbird--windows7--charter