From: JohnT on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:31:28 +0100, rmg wrote:

> When I installed Lenny I set up Thunderbird (Icedove) - well it's highly
> spoken of, but it won't allow you to have 2 accounts with the same User
> ID and password so I can only post as the alias I've chosen as the main
> one. Is there a way round this? Probably I could ask for more accounts
> with different IDs and passwords but it's a sledgehammer approach to
> Tbird's gratuitous pickiness - easier to go back to Sylpheed.

Easy enough to do with Thuderbird:

In Edit-> Account Settings
Select the appropriate account, and click on the Manage Identities button.

This allows you to add multiple identities to the account.

Then, when composing, you get a dropdown for the From: so you can choose
your alias.

> Actually I have other grumbles about Tbird, I'd dearly like to filter
> usenet posts on content and/or mark usenet posts as spam but neither
> seems possible in Tbird.

Yeah - Thunderbird is not good for usenet.
I'd recommend Pan for that.

JohnT
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:31:28 +0100, rmg wrote:

> I use my son's server for mail and he's given me several email aliases
> by sorting mails into the right folders. Running Debian Etch I use
> Sylpheed to collect mail and I set up fake accounts to allow me to post
> from the aliases.
>
> Sylpheed allows you to have more than one account with the same user ID
> and password so I can select the alias I want when composing.
>
> When I installed Lenny I set up Thunderbird (Icedove) - well it's highly
> spoken of, but it won't allow you to have 2 accounts with the same User
> ID and password so I can only post as the alias I've chosen as the main
> one. Is there a way round this? Probably I could ask for more accounts
> with different IDs and passwords but it's a sledgehammer approach to
> Tbird's gratuitous pickiness - easier to go back to Sylpheed.
>
> Actually I have other grumbles about Tbird, I'd dearly like to filter
> usenet posts on content and/or mark usenet posts as spam but neither
> seems possible in Tbird.

Use evolution

--
Neil
Reverse 'r*a' and delete 'l'
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, rmg chose the
tried and tested strategy of:

> Actually I have other grumbles about Tbird, I'd dearly like to filter
> usenet posts on content and/or mark usenet posts as spam but neither
> seems possible in Tbird.

Yeah I tried Thunderbird for a few months with usenet and got sick of it in
the end.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
19:24:18 up 4 days, 9:55, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.13, 0.19

From: chris on
On 22/07/10 19:24, alexd wrote:
> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, rmg chose the
> tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> Actually I have other grumbles about Tbird, I'd dearly like to filter
>> usenet posts on content and/or mark usenet posts as spam but neither
>> seems possible in Tbird.
>
> Yeah I tried Thunderbird for a few months with usenet and got sick of it in
> the end.

You can certainly add filters for usenet posts in Thunderbird using the
Tools->Message Filters... option. I do this to killfile various people.

Spam is another matter, however. :(