From: John Stumbles on
.... if you had to choose between
1 Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
2 Acer Aspire ONE D250-OBK
3 Toshiba NB250 10G

(I've been offered that choice .. it's a long story.)

Not necessarily to run Linux on - it's mainly for SWMBO so it just needs
to work at minimal effort on my part. Just asking here because people are
more likely to be clued up than on windoze ngs :-)

Main requirement is to Just Work for email & web browsing and be reliable
and robust.

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <8ap8b5FvrfU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>... if you had to choose between
>1 Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
>2 Acer Aspire ONE D250-OBK
>3 Toshiba NB250 10G
>
>(I've been offered that choice .. it's a long story.)
>
>Not necessarily to run Linux on - it's mainly for SWMBO so it just needs
>to work at minimal effort on my part. Just asking here because people are
>more likely to be clued up than on windoze ngs :-)
>
>Main requirement is to Just Work for email & web browsing and be reliable
>and robust.

I'd go for the one with the nicest keyboard.

I have an oldish Acer Aspire One - which I run Debian Lenny on. Works
for me, anyway. (however I have the latest & greatest firefox rather than
Iceweasel) Wifey uses same firefox but also Icedove for email on hers.

Gordon
From: Tony Houghton on
In <8ap8b5FvrfU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> ... if you had to choose between
> 1 Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
> 2 Acer Aspire ONE D250-OBK
> 3 Toshiba NB250 10G
>
> (I've been offered that choice .. it's a long story.)
>
> Not necessarily to run Linux on - it's mainly for SWMBO so it just needs
> to work at minimal effort on my part. Just asking here because people are
> more likely to be clued up than on windoze ngs :-)
>
> Main requirement is to Just Work for email & web browsing and be reliable
> and robust.

The Compaq has a 1366x768 screen, which makes quite a big difference.
I've got one and would choose it again over those alternatives with
smaller screens. But be prepared to have to use a real mouse with it
instead of the trackpad. It uses a new protocol for no apparent reason,
which nobody seems to have managed to reverse engineer for Linux so far
to provide a separate sensitivity setting and corner taps etc. It
appears as a standard PS/2 device with scrolling so it's usable in an
emergency but even at GNOME's maximum speed setting it's too slow. I've
barely used Windows on it, but it seems little better there despite
having a supported driver.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Alan Secker on
John Stumbles wrote:

> ... if you had to choose between
> 1 Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
> 2 Acer Aspire ONE D250-OBK
> 3 Toshiba NB250 10G
>
> (I've been offered that choice .. it's a long story.)
>
> Not necessarily to run Linux on - it's mainly for SWMBO so it just needs
> to work at minimal effort on my part. Just asking here because people are
> more likely to be clued up than on windoze ngs :-)
>
> Main requirement is to Just Work for email & web browsing and be reliable
> and robust.

I've had an Asus PC901 for a couple of years. At one point the screen died
along with some of the rest. Asus were fantastic, collected, provided labels
and returned within a few days.

It now has the latest PCLinuxOS 2010 which runs beautifully. Prior to that
it has had everything including VirtualBox over Mandriva 2009.0 with XP as a
guest. It worked but it was too fiddly for work so I took it off.

If I was choosing today, I would go for an Asus but one with a 10.6 inch
screen that extra screen real estate would make a huge difference.

One reservation though, I will not do so until I find one with HDMI output.

BOL

Alan
From: Tony Houghton on
In <i2ot95$bhq$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Alan Secker <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote:

> If I was choosing today, I would go for an Asus but one with a 10.6 inch
> screen that extra screen real estate would make a huge difference.

It does, but usually only if it's a higher resolution than 1024*600
(depending on your eyesight). Many 10-11" netbooks still have the lower
resolution because Intel made it a condition of using the most common
Atom chipset that the resolution must not exceeed that. The higher
resolutions are only available with the Intel GMA500 or NVidia Ion
graphics chips. The former has poor Linux driver support and reviews
I've seen suggest it's no great shakes in Windows either, failing to
provide adequate acceleration for HD video etc.

> One reservation though, I will not do so until I find one with HDMI output.

My Compaq 311c has HDMI, but I don't know whether it's available on all
the variants, including the one on the OP's shortlist.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk