From: Alec Ross on
I recently tried and failed to install a dual-boot of the above.

IIRC if I install Ubuntu first, I can shrink its partition during the
Fedora installation, but a subsequent boot will go directly into Fedora.
(IIRC a message at the end of the Fedora install indicated writing of a
boot loader, rather than updating a file.)

If I install Fedora first, the Ubuntu install does not recognise the
presence of that OS.

I suspect the pb(s) lie in grub2/grub issue(s), and/or filesystem
differences. Can anyone give advice on this; and ideally detailed
suggestions for recommended route(s) to achieve the dual-boot.

TIA

Alec
--
Alec Ross
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I recently tried and failed to install a dual-boot of the above.
>
> IIRC if I install Ubuntu first, I can shrink its partition during the
> Fedora installation, but a subsequent boot will go directly into Fedora.
> (IIRC a message at the end of the Fedora install indicated writing of a
> boot loader, rather than updating a file.)
>
> If I install Fedora first, the Ubuntu install does not recognise the
> presence of that OS.
>
> I suspect the pb(s) lie in grub2/grub issue(s), and/or filesystem
> differences. Can anyone give advice on this; and ideally detailed
> suggestions for recommended route(s) to achieve the dual-boot.
>
> TIA
>
> Alec

You are probably replacing the boot loader in the hard disc's MBR with the
one intended for whichever OS you installed most recently.

The easiest way to handle dual-booting is to put a 'boot manager' in the
MBR and then put the boot loader for each OS into the / or /boot partition
of that OS. It is possible to use Grub or LiLo as a 'boot manager', but I
think a stand-alone program is better - I like GAG
<http://gag.sourceforge.net/>. SmartBootManager is good too
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/>. I haven't used any others.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Alec Ross on
In message <slrni3rlk1.78v.catwheezel(a)ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> writes
>On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I recently tried and failed to install a dual-boot of the above.
>>
>> IIRC if I install Ubuntu first, I can shrink its partition during the
>> Fedora installation, but a subsequent boot will go directly into Fedora.
>> (IIRC a message at the end of the Fedora install indicated writing of a
>> boot loader, rather than updating a file.)
>>
>> If I install Fedora first, the Ubuntu install does not recognise the
>> presence of that OS.
>>
>> I suspect the pb(s) lie in grub2/grub issue(s), and/or filesystem
>> differences. Can anyone give advice on this; and ideally detailed
>> suggestions for recommended route(s) to achieve the dual-boot.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alec
>
>You are probably replacing the boot loader in the hard disc's MBR with the
>one intended for whichever OS you installed most recently.
>
>The easiest way to handle dual-booting is to put a 'boot manager' in the
>MBR and then put the boot loader for each OS into the / or /boot partition
>of that OS. It is possible to use Grub or LiLo as a 'boot manager', but I
>think a stand-alone program is better - I like GAG
><http://gag.sourceforge.net/>. SmartBootManager is good too
><http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/>. I haven't used any others.

Thanks for the info, Whiskers. I might explore this - but my preference
was to use the provided GUI-based default installation options with as
few deviations as possible.

Alec
--
Alec Ross
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <slrni3rlk1.78v.catwheezel(a)ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
> Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> writes
>>On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

>>The easiest way to handle dual-booting is to put a 'boot manager' in the
>>MBR and then put the boot loader for each OS into the / or /boot partition
>>of that OS. It is possible to use Grub or LiLo as a 'boot manager', but I
>>think a stand-alone program is better - I like GAG
>><http://gag.sourceforge.net/>. SmartBootManager is good too
>><http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/>. I haven't used any others.
>>

> Thanks for the info, Whiskers. I might explore this - but my preference
> was to use the provided GUI-based default installation options with as
> few deviations as possible.
>
> Alec

Dual booting isn't a 'default' situation ;))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Alec Ross on
In message <slrni3tt9m.dbf.catwheezel(a)ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> writes
>On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <slrni3rlk1.78v.catwheezel(a)ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
>> Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> writes
>>>On 2010-07-14, Alec Ross <alec(a)arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>The easiest way to handle dual-booting is to put a 'boot manager' in the
>>>MBR and then put the boot loader for each OS into the / or /boot partition
>>>of that OS. It is possible to use Grub or LiLo as a 'boot manager', but I
>>>think a stand-alone program is better - I like GAG
>>><http://gag.sourceforge.net/>. SmartBootManager is good too
>>><http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/>. I haven't used any others.
>>>

>> Thanks for the info, Whiskers. I might explore this - but my preference
>> was to use the provided GUI-based default installation options with as
>> few deviations as possible.
>>
>> Alec
>
>Dual booting isn't a 'default' situation ;))

;)) Nod. I was meaning, of course, default wrt running distro-provided
installation s/w; w/ minimal adjustments before, during, and after.

--
Alec Ross