From: eastender on
I managed to screw up one of my machines last night with font problems -
so I ran Time Machine overnight to do a complete system restore. It all
seemed to work - but it won't boot - just get the Apple symbol and the
spinning cog at startup. I don't really want to do a a piecemeal restore
of the system as it will take ages - any ideas how to make it boot? The
info is:

� Mid-2009 Mac Mini with self-upgraded disk and memory
� Disk is in two partitions - restore done to one partition
� System restored is latest Snow leopard, from Time Machine backup on a
USB drive
� Installer DVD says system is bootable and shows it as a startup disk
� Running Disk Util and repair does give a final message 'Updating boot
support partitions for the volume as required' - and reports the disk OK
otherwise.

Is that last point a big clue - it doesn't fix it.

hx

E.
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-12-11 10:06:43 +0000, eastender said:

> I managed to screw up one of my machines last night with font problems
> -so I ran Time Machine overnight to do a complete system restore. It
> allseemed to work - but it won't boot - just get the Apple symbol and
> thespinning cog at startup. I don't really want to do a a piecemeal
> restoreof the system as it will take ages - any ideas how to make it
> boot? Theinfo is:
>
> ­ Mid-2009 Mac Mini with self-upgraded disk and memory­ Disk is in two
> partitions - restore done to one partition
> ­ System restored is latest Snow leopard, from Time Machine backup on
> aUSB drive
> ­ Installer DVD says system is bootable and shows it as a startup disk
> ­ Running Disk Util and repair does give a final message 'Updating
> bootsupport partitions for the volume as required' - and reports the
> disk OKotherwise.
>
> Is that last point a big clue - it doesn't fix it.

A better clue might be in the details of how/why it doesn't boot. Try a
verbose boot, or a single-user boot.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492>

--
Chris

From: eastender on
In article <7oekchF3pl21bU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> A better clue might be in the details of how/why it doesn't boot. Try a
> verbose boot, or a single-user boot.
>
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492>

I've just reset the PRAM and that now gives the startup chime (which wasn't on before). But still not booting.

Single-user boot shows:

'can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleFW0HCI - not found and kextd not available in early boot'

Also 'Root device is mounted read-only'

can't see any other info that looks wrong - there's a long string that begins 'Got boot device = etc'

E.
From: David Kennedy on
eastender wrote:
> I managed to screw up one of my machines last night with font problems -
> so I ran Time Machine overnight to do a complete system restore. It all
> seemed to work - but it won't boot - just get the Apple symbol and the
> spinning cog at startup. I don't really want to do a a piecemeal restore
> of the system as it will take ages - any ideas how to make it boot? The
> info is:
>
> � Mid-2009 Mac Mini with self-upgraded disk and memory
> � Disk is in two partitions - restore done to one partition
> � System restored is latest Snow leopard, from Time Machine backup on a
> USB drive
> � Installer DVD says system is bootable and shows it as a startup disk
> � Running Disk Util and repair does give a final message 'Updating boot
> support partitions for the volume as required' - and reports the disk OK
> otherwise.
>
> Is that last point a big clue - it doesn't fix it.

I would try DiskWarrior followed by - if that failed - the last combo
update.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-12-11 10:30:13 +0000, eastender said:

> In article <7oekchF3pl21bU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
>> A better clue might be in the details of how/why it doesn't boot. Try
>> averbose boot, or a single-user boot.
>>
>> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492>
>
> I've just reset the PRAM and that now gives the startup chime (which
> wasn't on before). But still not booting.
>
> Single-user boot shows:
>
> 'can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleFW0HCI - not found and kextd not
> available in early boot'

That's probably OHCI, not 0HCI. Have you got anything attached to the FW port?

> Also 'Root device is mounted read-only'

That's what happens during single-user boot. It tells you what to do to
continue IIRC.

> can't see any other info that looks wrong - there's a long string that
> begins 'Got boot device = etc'

Anything else from a verbose boot?

--
Chris