From: Ian McCall on
I have an Ultramax 1Gig drive which is going fine, but ridiculously
loudly. Warranty has now expired so I'm looking at putting in an
alternative fan - having unscrewed everything and looked inside this
might prove harder than I'd hoped.

The problem is this:
<http://eruvia.org/imagedump/ultramax-screwcovers-20091212-103505.png>

Those pop-out covers are pretty inaccessible. Because the screws are
directly behind them, I can' pop them out from the inside. I can't see
a way of getting to them from the outside either.

Any ideas how to get rid of those covers?

Cheers,
Ian

From: Phil Taylor on
In article <7oha2jF3pl7jfU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Ian McCall
<ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> I have an Ultramax 1Gig drive which is going fine, but ridiculously
> loudly. Warranty has now expired so I'm looking at putting in an
> alternative fan - having unscrewed everything and looked inside this
> might prove harder than I'd hoped.
>
> The problem is this:
> <http://eruvia.org/imagedump/ultramax-screwcovers-20091212-103505.png>
>
> Those pop-out covers are pretty inaccessible. Because the screws are
> directly behind them, I can' pop them out from the inside. I can't see
> a way of getting to them from the outside either.
>
> Any ideas how to get rid of those covers?

Drill them out? Use a centre punch to make a little depression in the
centre of each screw cover first to stop the drill wondering around,
then drill through until you have removed each screw head.

Phil Taylor