From: Milton on
I need to run XP on this laptop. I'm told it can't be done. Can anyone tell
me if this is correct please and if there is a way around it?

TIA

Regards

Milton

From: z1 on
Milton wrote:
> I need to run XP on this laptop. I'm told it can't be done. Can anyone
> tell me if this is correct please and if there is a way around it?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards
>
> Milton

well start with this:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1428386.html

do a Google search with - Toshiba Qosmio X500 winxp

research this thoroughly

why do you have to run WinXP?

alternatively why not install something like a virtual desktop and run
WinXP in that?

or if you are running Win7, then get Win 7 Pro and have all the XP stuff
besides.
From: idgat on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:17:05 +1000, "Milton" <millame23(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I need to run XP on this laptop. I'm told it can't be done. Can anyone tell
>me if this is correct please and if there is a way around it?
>
>TIA
>
>Regards
>
>Milton

Most common reason for this is that the manufacturer (Toshiba, in this
case - but also happens with HP and Acer, that I know of) don't
release drivers for versions earlier than Windows 7 (or Vista).

This is partly to do with the licensing agreements between
manufacturers and Microsnot.

However, there still may be earlier drivers from the individual
hardware component manufacturers.

When you get your new computer, there are no (re)installation/recovery
disks supplied - the user/owner is required to create a set from built
in software.

Drivers are pre-installed, so the (factory default) recovery set of
disks created just contains the same pre-installed W7 drivers. In all
likelihood, XP drivers won't be available from Toshy's web site.

However, if you d/load a program like PC Wizard 2010 (amongst many
others) which identifies the hardware (brand/make/model), you could
research the individual hardware manufactuer's site to see if XP
drivers are available.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A SET OF RECOVERY DISKS,
ANYWAY!!!!

If you try XP and it doesn't work, and you haven't got disks to
re-install the original OS, youse is stuffed!!
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: idgat on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:37:25 +1000, z1 <z1(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Milton wrote:
>> I need to run XP on this laptop. I'm told it can't be done. Can anyone
>> tell me if this is correct please and if there is a way around it?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Milton
>

>well start with this:
>http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1428386.html

Above has one question from an OP, no responses.
Problem : no XP drivers

>alternatively why not install something like a virtual desktop and run
>WinXP in that?

Still presents a problem about XP drivers, unless WinXP already has
them, and/or drivers are available from h/ware websites

>or if you are running Win7, then get Win 7 Pro and have all the XP stuff
>besides.

++1

Rightclick -> Properties -> Compatibility -> "Run this program in
compatibilyt Mode for ....". Solved!
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
Milton wrote:
> I need to run XP on this laptop. I'm told it can't be done. Can anyone
> tell me if this is correct please and if there is a way around it?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards
>
> Milton
Running xp would be a less than optimum idea
run win764 pro and the free sun virtual box for xp if you really need
xp for anything