From: Chirusa on

In Outlook when sending any emails, we have an option of selecting "Request
a delivery receipt for this message" and "Request a read receipt for this
message".

When "Request a delivery receipt for this message" option is checked , we
are able to view the tracking status tab for that email in Sent
items.However, if we select "Request a read receipt for this message" alone,
we are unable to view tracking status tab in the sent items.

Will Tracking status works only when you select for "delivery receipt"?

Please help me out ?

Regards,
Sam
From: VanguardLH on
Chirusa wrote:

> In Outlook when sending any emails, we have an option of selecting "Request
> a delivery receipt for this message" and "Request a read receipt for this
> message".
>
> When "Request a delivery receipt for this message" option is checked , we
> are able to view the tracking status tab for that email in Sent
> items.However, if we select "Request a read receipt for this message" alone,
> we are unable to view tracking status tab in the sent items.
>
> Will Tracking status works only when you select for "delivery receipt"?
>
> Please help me out ?
>
> Regards,
> Sam

Read receipt *requests* (which is a header in the e-mail) are handled by the
recipient's e-mail client. Whether the e-mail client prompts, always sends,
or always ignores these requests depends on how the user configured their
e-mail client. The default in most e-mail clients is to prompt when a
sender has requested a read receipt. This prompt usually spurs the user to
configure their e-mail client to ignore all such further requests as they
are not interested in divulging to the sender as to if and when they read
the sender's e-mail.

Delivery receipt *requests* (which is a header in the e-mail) are handled by
the recipient's mail host (NOT by the recipient's e-mail client). It is a
request for the receiving mail host to notify the sender that their e-mail
got to the recipient's mail service. It does NOT validate that the e-mail
got through that mail service to the recipient's mailbox and it is does not
validate that the recipient retrieved the e-mail in their e-mail client and
then opened that e-mail. Rare few mail hosts waste their time with positive
feedback via delivery receipts. They don't need to tell you when your
e-mail was accepted by their mail host. Instead they send back negative
feedback when their mail host rejects or otherwise will not or can not
accept your e-mail. The lack of negative feedback is the positive feedback.
Mail hosts don't need to waste their time validating all accepted e-mails
and instead they just need to provide the negative feedback when they cannot
accept your e-mail (or the sending mail host sends back the negative
feedback when it cannot connect to the receiving mail host).

Read receipts: Requests are handled by recipient's e-mail client.
Most users ignore all such requests.
Delivery receipts: Requests are handled by the receiving mail host.
Most mail hosts ignore such requests.