From: pyotr filipivich on
Greetings and Salutations

I'm sure that this question has come up before, but does anyone have a
means to track commodities in Quicken? As in fetch the price of
copper, silver, gold, wheat, or West Texas crude?
I long ago gave up trying to track foreign exchange holdings in
Quicken, and the commodity account is just one of those "fun things".
(If I bought my weight in platinum, how much would it be worth? If I
_had_ bought my weight in platinum, and then sold the amount I lost
after the diet, who much would I have made/lost?)

Oh yeah, I'm still running Quicken 2008

cheers
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
"Remember, the moral of our show. Put your troubles away until tomorrow.
If you're lucky, somebody will break into your house tonight and steal them."
Dean Martin
From: John Pollard on
pyotr filipivich wrote:
> I'm sure that this question has come up before, but does anyone have a
> means to track commodities in Quicken? As in fetch the price of
> copper, silver, gold, wheat, or West Texas crude?

If you have a source that will provide you with a comma delimited file of
the prices, you can import that into Quicken.

--

John Pollard

From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> on or
about Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:20:17 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear
in alt.comp.software.financial.quicken the following:
>pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> I'm sure that this question has come up before, but does anyone have a
>> means to track commodities in Quicken? As in fetch the price of
>> copper, silver, gold, wheat, or West Texas crude?
>
>If you have a source that will provide you with a comma delimited file of
>the prices, you can import that into Quicken.

I do, but that requires me to make sure I hit the site every day
and copy the numbers. B-) "Too much like work." What I'd like is
some way to track the prices like a stock price.

Thanks for the advice, I may have to try and do something like
that ... in the future. In my copious spare time.

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that gp(a)rr.com on or about Mon, 05 Oct 2009
08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken the following:
>On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 00:08:21 -0700, pyotr filipivich
><phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Let the Record show that "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> on or
>>about Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:20:17 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear
>>in alt.comp.software.financial.quicken the following:
>>>
>>>If you have a source that will provide you with a comma delimited file of
>>>the prices, you can import that into Quicken.
>>
>> I do, but that requires me to make sure I hit the site every day
>>and copy the numbers. B-) "Too much like work." What I'd like is
>>some way to track the prices like a stock price.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice, I may have to try and do something like
>>that ... in the future. In my copious spare time.
>>

>>pyotr
>
>Since futures contract symbols are every changing, trying to follow
>them in Quicken would be a vary time consuming project. There are
>special programs just for trying to track futures. It gets very
>complex merging the expiring contracts with the new contracts.

I'll take your word for it. What I want to do is just enter a
purchase of 100 "units" of CommodityA, and watch the spot price rise
or fall.

>Why not just use site that will chart the price for you. Just one
>example below.
>
>http://www2.barchart.com/mktcom.asp?code=BSTK&section=energies
>
>http://charts3.barchart.com/chart.asp?sym=CLG0&data=A&jav=adv&vol=Y&divd=Y&evnt=adv&grid=Y&code=BSTK&org=stk&fix=

Oooh, cool.

pyotr

-
From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that gp(a)rr.com on or about Thu, 08 Oct 2009
22:16:11 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
> [...]
><phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Let the Record show that gp(a)rr.com on or about Mon, 05 Oct 2009
>>08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
>>alt.comp.software.financial.quicken the following:

>>>Since futures contract symbols are every changing, trying to follow
>>>them in Quicken would be a vary time consuming project. There are
>>>special programs just for trying to track futures. It gets very
>>>complex merging the expiring contracts with the new contracts.
>>
>> I'll take your word for it. What I want to do is just enter a
>>purchase of 100 "units" of CommodityA, and watch the spot price rise
>>or fall.
>>>
>>>Why not just use site that will chart the price for you. Just one
>>>example below.
>>>
>>>http://www2.barchart.com/mktcom.asp?code=BSTK&section=energies
>>>
>>>http://charts3.barchart.com/chart.asp?sym=CLG0&data=A&jav=adv&vol=Y&divd=Y&evnt=adv&grid=Y&code=BSTK&org=stk&fix=
>>
>>Oooh, cool.
>>
>>pyotr
>>
>>-
>>pyotr filipivich.
>
>http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/cfutures.html
>
>I have several Canadian Oil trust stocks so I am interested in Natural
>Gas and Oil. I use the above every morning to get a feel on what is
>happening to both of these in real time. I am only interested in the %
>change, not the raw price.
>
>Using Quicken for this would be a wasted effort. There are a few ETFs
>that track Oil and N. gas but they do not track the price correctly
>due to the way they handle the futures contracts. Oil and gas are very
>complex that few people really understand. Trying to follow just one
>index will get you into a lot of trouble especially in futures
>markets.
>
>here are a few examples of the problems with ETFs to track Oil:
>http://www.fool.com/investing/etf/2009/07/08/leveraged-etfs-are-going-down.aspx
>
>possible oil ETFs. However, many reviews I have read on USO claims due
>to it cost of rolling futures
>contracts, it does not accurately track real Oil.??
>
>http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=OIL#chart8:symbol=oil;range=1y;compare=uso+dbo+usl+dig+dug;indicator=dividend+rsi(9)+macd;charttype=candlestick;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=1;logscale=on;source=undefined
>
>the following discusses USO and some of these, but I don't believe the
>people posting really
>know want they are talking about.
>
>http://vnboards.ign.com/ac_friends/b5258/110657670/r110726915/
>
>Goldman Sachs Crude Oil Total Return ETN (OIL)
>MacroShares Oil Down ETF (DOY)
>MacroShares Oil Up ETF (UOY)
>PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Long ETN (DXO)
>PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Short ETN (DTO)
>PowerShares DB Crude Oil Long ETN (OLO)
>PowerShares DB Crude Oil Short ETN (SZO)
>PowerShares DB Oil Fund (DBO)
>ProShares Ultra DJ-AIG Crude Oil ETF (UCO)
>ProShares UltraShort DJ-AIG Crude Oil ETF (SCO)

Those are funds. I want to get the West Texas Sweet quote. I know
that is not all of the oil prices, but it has become an index. "Oil
is up, oil is down" usually refers to that price. Much like you take
note of the price of regular gas at the sign board, even though you
take premium: premium gas will be within a nickel of the price for
regular. (Tells you how long ago I was filling up with the High Test
B-) Sheesh, gas was 48 cents a gallon and it was killing me!)

-