From: Tom Brown on
I saw a similar thread submitted by Christine Nester but didn't think I
should hijack it.

I currently have WLM on a new Win 7 machine and would like to give Outlook a
try. For years I avoided Outlook because it took so long to open and it
just seemed clunky compared to OE. I now have a more powerful computer and
am going to give it a try because I miss the old OE format and hope Outlook
will satisfy me.

Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to transfer emails, contacts,
storage folders and account settings to Outlook?

I can install either Outlook 2003 or 2007 so I would appreciate any
recommendations. I mainly plan to just use the email and calendar functions
of Outlook.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

From: Tom Brown on
I forgot to mention that I am using POP3 and keep my messages on my local
box.

Tom

From: LD55ZRA on
My experience seems to suggest that as soon as you start to install Outlook
(2003 or 2007), it will see that you already have WLM or OE and ask you
whether you want to import settings and messages from that account. You
should answer Yes and everything will be taken care of.

Your old settings and messages in WLM or OE will remain intact and nothing
will be deleted or changed except that Outlook will become your default
email program.

hth

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Tom Brown" <Burner2(a)att.net> wrote in message

> am going to give it a try because I miss the old OE format and hope Outlook
> will satisfy me.

If you're looking for an Outlook Express look-and-feel, then WLM is much
closer to that than Outlook will ever be.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Tom Brown on
Well, in some ways but in others (look & feel), I find Outlook very
familiar. Sure, it has a lot of extra features but overall, it feels a lot
like OE to me ... with more features. I have already briefly commented on
this in another reply but both share similar territory.

I think of WLM as a hybrid between Outlook and OE. I just object to the
thin, lightweight look of WLM. There are a few other nagging things that
sometimes bug me about WLM. I do like the Quick views Unread E-mail which
looks like it was borrowed from Outlooks Favorites. Also, I am not totally
comfortable with the Storage Folders concept in WLM. Outlook seems to allow
folder management similar to OE.

I'm running both right now and eventually, I'll settle on which one works
best for me.

Tom