From: Boris on
I got a new laptop (with Windows XP SP3 installed) which is standing next
to my old laptop (also Windows XP SP3 installed). Both are HP laptops,
both have a Broadcom card installed and both are connected to the same
wireless router (it's a home network using WEP). Both report the same
(low) signal strength. However my old laptop is way faster downloading
data from the Internet than my new one. While I'm typing this message I'm
downloading a 43 MB file: IE7 on my old laptop reports a transfer rate of
108 KB/s while IE7 on my new laptop says the transfer rate is 24 KB/s.

As you can imagine doing anything online is not much fine with my new
laptop. However I don't understand why it is so slow - especially as I
setup the entire laptop only on the weekend (including reinstalling
Windows XP, the service packs and all other Windows patches). As the
signal strength is reported correctly I guess it must be a configuration
issue - but where to look? There is no anti-virus program installed
currently either.

Thanks in advance,
Boris
From: Phillip Windell on
"Boris" <boriss(a)web.de> wrote in message news:op.un0vs5q49dsao3(a)burk...
>I got a new laptop (with Windows XP SP3 installed) which is standing next
>to my old laptop (also Windows XP SP3 installed). Both are HP laptops,
>both have a Broadcom card installed and both are connected to the same
>wireless router (it's a home network using WEP). Both report the same
>(low) signal strength. However my old laptop is way faster downloading
>data from the Internet than my new one. While I'm typing this message I'm
>downloading a 43 MB file: IE7 on my old laptop reports a transfer rate of
>108 KB/s while IE7 on my new laptop says the transfer rate is 24 KB/s.

At the same time?? Or one at a time?? If they are both at the same time,
which ever one begins first will usually go faster.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

From: Jack (MVP-Networking). on
Hi
Reporting Low signal is No so good, and within the low it might be that one
laptop Wireless is slower than the other.
Try to set the files Sharing and transfer large file from one to the other.
You might discover that the issue is Not IE7 and the Internet, but rather
one Wireless Bandwidth is lower than the other.
As an alternative you can try both of them with wires plugged to the Router
and see what it yields.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

From: Boris on
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:08:27 +0100, Jack (MVP-Networking).
<jack(a)discussiongroup.com> wrote:

Jack and Phillip,

> Reporting Low signal is No so good, and within the low it might be that
> one laptop Wireless is slower than the other.
> Try to set the files Sharing and transfer large file from one to the
> other.
> You might discover that the issue is Not IE7 and the Internet, but
> rather one Wireless Bandwidth is lower than the other.
> As an alternative you can try both of them with wires plugged to the
> Router and see what it yields.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

thanks for your replies! As it turns out it's a driver issue under Windows
XP - see
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1278832.
The laptop has been preinstalled with Windows Vista. And it seems like
that HP didn't test really everything sufficiently with Windows XP (or
they don't care). Meanwhile I installed Windows Vista again and the
wireless card is working much better (not yet perfectly though as it's
Vista of course ...).

Boris