From: Bill Wells on
Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3?

I thought Windows XP Professional SP3 came with WPA2-PSK but I can't find
it.

If I doubleclick on the Wireless Network Connection applet;
And then I press "Change advanced settings";
On "Wireless Network Connections Properties" form "Wireless Networks" tab;
I press the "Add" button and go to the "Association" tab;
I give it a "Network name (SSID)" and check to connect even when the
network isn't broadcasting the SSID.

The problem is here next ......

The "Network Authentication" only lists Open, Shared, WPA, & WPA-PSK;
The "Data encryption" only lists Disabled & WEP.

But I want WPA2-PSK & AES.
I thought WPA2-PSK came with service WinXP Pro SP3!

Do you know the secret for WPA2-PSK on the WinXP SP3 wireless connection?
I googled, and tried the following from KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 but it didn't change anything:
c:\> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
From: Kayman on
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:02:59 -0800, Bill Wells wrote:

> Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3?
>
> I thought Windows XP Professional SP3 came with WPA2-PSK but I can't find
> it.
>
> If I doubleclick on the Wireless Network Connection applet;
> And then I press "Change advanced settings";
> On "Wireless Network Connections Properties" form "Wireless Networks" tab;
> I press the "Add" button and go to the "Association" tab;
> I give it a "Network name (SSID)" and check to connect even when the
> network isn't broadcasting the SSID.
>
> The problem is here next ......
>
> The "Network Authentication" only lists Open, Shared, WPA, & WPA-PSK;
> The "Data encryption" only lists Disabled & WEP.
>
> But I want WPA2-PSK & AES.
> I thought WPA2-PSK came with service WinXP Pro SP3!
>
> Do you know the secret for WPA2-PSK on the WinXP SP3 wireless connection?
> I googled, and tried the following from KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 but it didn't change anything:
> c:\> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Configuring Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks for the Home and Small
Business
From: Big_Al on
Bill Wells said this on 2/6/2009 7:02 PM:
> Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3?
>
> I thought Windows XP Professional SP3 came with WPA2-PSK but I can't find
> it.
>
> If I doubleclick on the Wireless Network Connection applet;
> And then I press "Change advanced settings";
> On "Wireless Network Connections Properties" form "Wireless Networks" tab;
> I press the "Add" button and go to the "Association" tab;
> I give it a "Network name (SSID)" and check to connect even when the
> network isn't broadcasting the SSID.
>
> The problem is here next ......
>
> The "Network Authentication" only lists Open, Shared, WPA, & WPA-PSK;
> The "Data encryption" only lists Disabled & WEP.
>
> But I want WPA2-PSK & AES.
> I thought WPA2-PSK came with service WinXP Pro SP3!
>
> Do you know the secret for WPA2-PSK on the WinXP SP3 wireless connection?
> I googled, and tried the following from KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 but it didn't change anything:
> c:\> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Your network card in your PC and the associated drivers determine the
level of security its capable of not Windows, or so I thought.
From: James Egan on

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:02:59 -0800, Bill Wells <hammer29(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>But I want WPA2-PSK & AES.

Select WPA-PSK and choose AES (instead of TKIP)

AES(CCMP) was optional in WPA and mandatory in WPA2.

Jim.

From: Lem on
Bill Wells wrote:
> Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3?
>
> I thought Windows XP Professional SP3 came with WPA2-PSK but I can't find
> it.
>
> If I doubleclick on the Wireless Network Connection applet;
> And then I press "Change advanced settings";
> On "Wireless Network Connections Properties" form "Wireless Networks" tab;
> I press the "Add" button and go to the "Association" tab;
> I give it a "Network name (SSID)" and check to connect even when the
> network isn't broadcasting the SSID.
>
> The problem is here next ......
>
> The "Network Authentication" only lists Open, Shared, WPA, & WPA-PSK;
> The "Data encryption" only lists Disabled & WEP.
>
> But I want WPA2-PSK & AES.
> I thought WPA2-PSK came with service WinXP Pro SP3!
>
> Do you know the secret for WPA2-PSK on the WinXP SP3 wireless connection?
> I googled, and tried the following from KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 but it didn't change anything:
> c:\> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Big Al has the answer. You only get the encryption capability that your
hardware supports. Although sometimes you can increase encryption
capability by getting the most recent driver for your wireless adapter,
the fact that it only offers WEP now suggests that it's a fairly old
model. Even with the most recent driver you may only be able to get
WPA-PSK, although I have a fairly old Linksys WPC54G that works with
WPA-PSK (AES) which is almost as good as WPA2.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP