From: James Egan on

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:48:24 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<jack(a)discussiongroup.com> wrote:

>WPA uses TKIP/MIC Encryption.
>WPA2 uses AES-CCMP Encryption
>AES aka the Irondale algorithm is a secure, fast symmetric cipher that is
>easily implemented in hardware.

Rijndael

>AES has its own mechanism for dynamic key generation. It's also resistant to
>statistical analysis of the cipher text.
>There is No reason to use some of the terminology in the drivers entries and
>Access Point menus as this appear in many products.
>However there is a tendency of the Entry Level Wireless manufacturer not to
>adhere strictly by implementation and language use to a common standard.
>Each one does something that in their mind would help better Marketing and
>consumers understanding (or misunderstanding) of the products.

Are you suggesting WPA-PSK(AES) doesn't exist in reality but only on
selectable menus?

The links Lem posted actually accepted that AES/CCMP was used with WPA
sometimes but wasn't specific about any (security affecting)
difference between the implementations in wpa and wpa2. From those
links I got the impression that the security algorithm was equivalent
in both implementations.

I do accept the point, though, that even if AES/CCMP is a selected
option on the menu that TKIP might be used without informing the user
if the hardware can't handle the AES.

Jim.

From: Jack (MVP-Networking). on
Hi
WPA-PSK(AES) is a sort of WPA2. Since Wireless is the "Wilde West of
Networking", for variety of reasons some manufacturers at the moment prefer
this term.
From the user perspective if there is a choice between with AES and without
AES, the AES choice is better one, If there is a clear choice of WPA2 then
it should be used.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)