From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
I've sent this to the Thursby support@ too, but I thought I'd ask here
since I know there are a couple of folks dealing with bloody Windows
servers....

I'm currently evaluating the latest DAVE 6.2, using OSX 10.4.9 with
all latest updates. I'm not using a Windows domain, but I am using a
Windows 2003 server to manage a DFS tree. This is what I'm testing
DAVE for. No domain login, just a workgroup.

Annoyingly, DAVE is not consistently accessing the DFS contents.
Mounting the DFS tree share from the w2k3 server always works, but the
actual DFS links often don't - the links show as folders rather than
network symbols with a link arrow on, and have no content.

In three reboots(I know, I know - but it is Windows related!) I've had
the following behavior -

Directly after install: All worked, bar DFS links pointing at servers
that were not available. Those links alone showed as folders.

Next boot: Most DFS links worked, but a couple of servers' shares
didn't. Using DAVE Browser, firstly there was a complaint that
"tss_check_cifs" was not running, so I started that manually. The
servers owning those shares didn't show in the browser and manually
connecting to those servers with a cifs://servername typein link
failed with "DAVE failed to resolve the server's address. The remote
server does not seem to be on the network. (65)". The same name works
fine with nslookup, ping and `smbutil view //servername`. I fixed this
by filling the server into /Library/Filesystems/DAVE/LMHOSTS as a #PRE
directive, and all was well again.

Next boot: "tss_check_cifs" started up by itself, though I'm not sure
if on boot or login. However, this time only one DFS link worked, all
others - including those links pointing to shares hosted on the same
server - didn't. DAVE Browser succesfully finds all the servers, and
double-clicking on the Network sphere/cube for each shows the
individual shares, but picking a share to Mount from this DAVE Browser
panel doesn't do anything at all.

I can connect directly to individual shares in the DFS tree using the
Finder "Connect to Server" command. All username/pass/domain (actually
workgroup) for each windows sharing server in the DFS tree are saved
into Keychain and correct.

I get this in console.log every time I try to use DAVE Browser "Mount"
command:

2007-06-17 11:30:38.665 tss_check_cifs[1439] CFLog (22): Cannot find
factory 92D4EFEF-F5AA-11D5-A1EE-003065A0E6DE

Same GUID for each server. Finder navigation through the DFS links
doesn't generate this error report.

At the DAVE Browser, typein of visible shares fail to mount and log
the same error as above, same as choosing from the "Select the volume
you wish to mount" GUI panel does

Hidden shares (ie with a $ on the end) mount fine from the DAVE
Browser typein line, and leave no message in console.log. The
"Select..." panel doesn't show these shares, of course.

All share, visible and hidden, still mount fine from Finder, including
those that are failing to show in the DFS tree.

Can't find anything else DAVE related in any of the logs.

Er?

Cheers - Jaimie
From: Robert Moir on

"Jaimie Vandenbergh" <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote in message
> I've sent this to the Thursby support@ too, but I thought I'd ask here
> since I know there are a couple of folks dealing with bloody Windows
> servers....
>
> I'm currently evaluating the latest DAVE 6.2, using OSX 10.4.9 with
> all latest updates. I'm not using a Windows domain, but I am using a
> Windows 2003 server to manage a DFS tree. This is what I'm testing
> DAVE for. No domain login, just a workgroup.

I thought DFS required AD to work properly?

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:49:11 GMT, "Robert Moir"
<robspamtrap(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>"Jaimie Vandenbergh" <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote in message
>> I've sent this to the Thursby support@ too, but I thought I'd ask here
>> since I know there are a couple of folks dealing with bloody Windows
>> servers....
>>
>> I'm currently evaluating the latest DAVE 6.2, using OSX 10.4.9 with
>> all latest updates. I'm not using a Windows domain, but I am using a
>> Windows 2003 server to manage a DFS tree. This is what I'm testing
>> DAVE for. No domain login, just a workgroup.
>
>I thought DFS required AD to work properly?

No, not for just mapping shares into a single unified tree and then
browsing that tree from a Windows client machine. It looks like a
simple share as far as a DFS-aware client is concerned.

If you have multiple shares for a single branch and want load-sharing
or use-closest and sync between those shares, you need AD to manage
the syncing and possibly the load-sharing.

Unfortunately OSX isn't DFS aware, and just sees the folder setup
rather than following the redirects of each folder to the mapped
drives. DAVE and AdmitMAC add DFS redirect following, but not very
well!

Cheers - J