From: Rojo Habe on
On 20/05/2010 19:51, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

> That's one way. You can use POP as well if you leave messages on the
> server when you download them. The only loss is the Sent Items folder,
> but you can do that with rules.

Yeah, they've "enhanced" the POP interface, too, which means you have to
put the word "recent:" in front of your username and then it'll download
the last thirty days worth (the first time you do it) onto each client.
The messages stay on the server regardless of whether or not you
configure your client to delete them. The upshot is that all manner of
weird things happen, depending on the client, from messages disappearing
without trace once they've been read to items refusing to be deleted no
matter what, or even more inconsistent weirdness. That's why I decided
to give IMAP a try (although for an IMAP first-timer this is proving to
be even weirder). Plus, as you said, you don't have access to your Sent
Items wherever you go, although in the past I've gotten around that by
BCCing myself and manually copying it to the Sent folder once it comes
in. I was just looking for a more elegant solution.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
You need to use the program that meets *your needs* - if its t-bird, so be
it. Outlook is not a very good imap client anyway...

But, if you choose outlook, my preference would be Option A - continue the
same as currently. Then I'd either manually move the sent items daily (or
weekly) or see if autoarchive could be used to archive the sent folder to
the imap sent folder. I haven't tried it, so it might not work - it might
not "see" the IMAP folders.

(In reality, since I use Auto-Mate to move messages after a period of time,
I'd see if it would move the messages in the Sent folder to the IMAP
folders.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

"Rojo Habe" <noem(a)iladdres.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm....
>
> Option c just flew straight over my head! Might it be possible instead to
> write an autoexec macro in Outlook that copies the contents of Sent Items
> to [Gmail]/Sent Mail. I think I might find that a bit easier to get to
> grips with, although that would require manually triggering or restarting
> Outlook, so maybe I'm not onto a winner there. My prior experience with
> VBA consists only of data manipulation within Excel.
>
> Maybe I should just stick to option b. The only trouble with that is I
> keep sending people empty emails because I've forgotten to attach the
> file!!
>
> I have to say, I'm thinking of migrating to Thunderbird at this point
> (yes, I know an Outlook newsgroup is not the place to mention such
> things). That's what I'm currently using on my laptop and it does seem to
> put things in the correct folder, although it's not without its own weird
> quirks and seems more prone to crashing.
>

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" <suemvp(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The mechanism used to send a file from Excel or Word isn't aware of the
>> full
>> contents of Outlook and, therefore, cannot save a message to the IMAP
>> folder.
>> You have three choices:
>>
>> a) Continue as you've been doing.
>> b) Don't use the Word and Excel feature to send documents. Create the
>> message in Outlook first, and then attach the document.
>> c) Write VBA macros that use Outlook objects to send the document as an
>> attached file, as at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.developer.vba/browse_thread/thread/5716059a30ff6006/be0b7d6d18869476
>> --
>> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>> Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
>> Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
>> http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54
>>

>> "Rojo Habe" wrote:
>>
>>> My ISP have recently moved their servers to Gmail and Hence IMAP seems
>>> to be
>>> the way to go in order to keep my email in sync on both my desktop and
>>> my
>>> laptop. It's causing me a few headaches though, not least of which is
>>> the
>>> following.
>>>
>>> I've configured Outlook 2007 (SP2) to save my sent mail in the "Sent"
>>> folder
>>> on the IMAP server, so that I can see my sent items from both machines.
>>> This seems to work fine when composing new email from within Outlook
>>> itself,
>>> by clicking the "New" button on the toolbar. If, however, I decided to
>>> send
>>> from within another app, for example Word or Excel, using the Email

From: Rojo Habe on
For the record I've decided POP is the lesser of two weevils. I'm using the
"recent:" method I described in my last post; everything sent from my laptop
is BCC'd to me and on my desktop machine I've got a rule set up to move
anything from myself straight into the Sent Items folder, marking it as read
in the process. I was looking for a condition saying "where my name is in
the Bcc box" as a belt-n-braces check (in case I send myself an email for
some other reason) but it doesn't seem to appear in the lest, so I've
settled on "unless my name is in the To of Bcc box".

It's automatically ticked "on this machine only" but I'm not sure what that
does. Is it important?

The only thing I'm missing out on is I don't have access to all my Sent
Items on the laptop but if I use the rule in both directions some nasty
duplication loops might start occurring.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Rojo Habe" <noem(a)iladdress.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, they've "enhanced" the POP interface, too, which means you have to put
> the word "recent:" in front of your username and then it'll download the
> last thirty days worth (the first time you do it) onto each client. The
> messages stay on the server regardless of whether or not you configure your
> client to delete them.

This is really not in conformance with POP standards and it's not how gmail
POP works for me. There should be an option in the POP setup that allows you
to have the server work in a more standard fashion. I know I don't have to
add "recent". Log into gmail via a web browser, click Settings, then "Forward
and POP/IMAP". You should be able to click a radio button labeled "Enable POP
for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)" and it will allow you
to download all mail in the Inbox. You should also make sure the "When
messages are accessed via POP" drop-down says "keep Gmail's copy in the
Inbox".

> The upshot is that all manner of weird things happen, depending on the
> client, from messages disappearing without trace once they've been read to
> items refusing to be deleted no matter what, or even more inconsistent
> weirdness. That's why I decided to give IMAP a try (although for an IMAP
> first-timer this is proving to be even weirder). Plus, as you said, you
> don't have access to your Sent Items wherever you go, although in the past
> I've gotten around that by BCCing myself and manually copying it to the
> Sent folder once it comes in. I was just looking for a more elegant
> solution.

As long as you use the Outlook client interface itself to send the messages,
the Sent Items folder will work correctly. As soon as you use the programming
interface, the Sent Items don't get migrated. I'd create a rule that moves
all messages to the server-side Sent Items folder and manually run it on the
Sent Items folder periodically.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: spamlet on

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Rojo Habe" <noem(a)iladdress.com> wrote in message
>
>> Yeah, they've "enhanced" the POP interface, too, which means you have to
>> put the word "recent:" in front of your username and then it'll download
>> the last thirty days worth (the first time you do it) onto each client.
>> The messages stay on the server regardless of whether or not you
>> configure your client to delete them.
>
> This is really not in conformance with POP standards and it's not how
> gmail POP works for me. There should be an option in the POP setup that
> allows you to have the server work in a more standard fashion. I know I
> don't have to add "recent". Log into gmail via a web browser, click
> Settings, then "Forward and POP/IMAP". You should be able to click a
> radio button labeled "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already
> been downloaded)" and it will allow you to download all mail in the Inbox.
> You should also make sure the "When messages are accessed via POP"
> drop-down says "keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox".
>
>> The upshot is that all manner of weird things happen, depending on the
>> client, from messages disappearing without trace once they've been read
>> to items refusing to be deleted no matter what, or even more inconsistent
>> weirdness. That's why I decided to give IMAP a try (although for an IMAP
>> first-timer this is proving to be even weirder). Plus, as you said, you
>> don't have access to your Sent Items wherever you go, although in the
>> past I've gotten around that by BCCing myself and manually copying it to
>> the Sent folder once it comes in. I was just looking for a more elegant
>> solution.
>
> As long as you use the Outlook client interface itself to send the
> messages, the Sent Items folder will work correctly. As soon as you use
> the programming interface, the Sent Items don't get migrated. I'd create
> a rule that moves all messages to the server-side Sent Items folder and
> manually run it on the Sent Items folder periodically.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Hi,

I've been following this because I just spent three days and nights trying
to get Outlook (2002SP3) to download recent mail from my 'ntl migrated to
virgin migrated to google' mailbox. On 23 May send/receive just went into
mad mode downloading ~450 old messages at a time (taking half an hour each
time), and sending phantom mail that wasn't in the outbox. After round the
clock downloading and deleting of duplicates, it suddenly started working
again this afternoon. My question about this on their online 'help forum'
was not answered.

Which still leaves me the problem of the 'sent items'. From looking at
other threads on the forum it appears that the 'sent items' folder at google
is not really a folder but a filter from which items are deleted after 90
days. Something which fills me with alarm for our record keeping! So, even
here, among the experts, it seems the view is that one has to copy
everything to oneself and then filter it to get a proper sent and receive
record, in a proper folder!

Oops, but I'm forgetting, Outlook's 'sent items' isn't really a folder
either: the only real one being Outlook.pst! Come back Outlook Express, all
is forgiven!

Good luck: and make sure you back up that old ntuser.dat, and your psts, or
one day it's all all gone...