From: Rojo Habe on
My ISP have recently moved their servers to Gmail and Hence IMAP seems to be
the way to go in order to keep my email in sync on both my desktop and my
laptop. It's causing me a few headaches though, not least of which is the
following.

I've configured Outlook 2007 (SP2) to save my sent mail in the "Sent" folder
on the IMAP server, so that I can see my sent items from both machines.
This seems to work fine when composing new email from within Outlook itself,
by clicking the "New" button on the toolbar. If, however, I decided to send
from within another app, for example Word or Excel, using the Email button
on the QAT (or Office Orb|Send|Email), the message gets saved in my local
"Sent Items" folder, meaning I have to manually move it to the server. I'm
not even sure if this is an Outlook, Office or Windows issue (I'm using
Vista Ultimate SP2) but is this normal? If so, is there any way around it?

From: Gordon on

"Rojo Habe" <noem(a)iladdres.com> wrote in message
> My ISP have recently moved their servers to Gmail and Hence IMAP seems to
> be the way to go in order to keep my email in sync on both my desktop and
> my laptop. It's causing me a few headaches though, not least of which is
> the following.
>
> I've configured Outlook 2007 (SP2) to save my sent mail in the "Sent"
> folder on the IMAP server, so that I can see my sent items from both
> machines. This seems to work fine when composing new email from within
> Outlook itself, by clicking the "New" button on the toolbar. If, however,
> I decided to send from within another app, for example Word or Excel,
> using the Email button on the QAT (or Office Orb|Send|Email), the message
> gets saved in my local "Sent Items" folder, meaning I have to manually
> move it to the server. I'm not even sure if this is an Outlook, Office or
> Windows issue (I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2) but is this normal? If so,
> is there any way around it?

This is normal. I don't know if there is a workaround....

From: Sue Mosher [MVP] on
The mechanism used to send a file from Excel or Word isn't aware of the full
contents of Outlook and, therefore, cannot save a message to the IMAP folder.
You have three choices:

a) Continue as you've been doing.
b) Don't use the Word and Excel feature to send documents. Create the
message in Outlook first, and then attach the document.
c) Write VBA macros that use Outlook objects to send the document as an
attached file, as at
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.developer.vba/browse_thread/thread/5716059a30ff6006/be0b7d6d18869476
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Rojo Habe" <noem(a)iladdres.com> wrote in message

> My ISP have recently moved their servers to Gmail and Hence IMAP seems to be
> the way to go in order to keep my email in sync on both my desktop and my
> laptop. It's causing me a few headaches though, not least of which is the
> following.

That's one way. You can use POP as well if you leave messages on the server
when you download them. The only loss is the Sent Items folder, but you can
do that with rules.

> I've configured Outlook 2007 (SP2) to save my sent mail in the "Sent" folder
> on the IMAP server, so that I can see my sent items from both machines. This
> seems to work fine when composing new email from within Outlook itself, by
> clicking the "New" button on the toolbar. If, however, I decided to send
> from within another app, for example Word or Excel, using the Email button
> on the QAT (or Office Orb|Send|Email), the message gets saved in my local
> "Sent Items" folder, meaning I have to manually move it to the server. I'm
> not even sure if this is an Outlook, Office or Windows issue (I'm using
> Vista Ultimate SP2) but is this normal? If so, is there any way around it?

It's a programming interface issue. Calling Outlook from other programs
doesn't give you access to the full panoply of features that using the Outlook
GUI allows. The Sent Items folder is one.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Rojo Habe on
Hmmm....

Option c just flew straight over my head! Might it be possible instead to
write an autoexec macro in Outlook that copies the contents of Sent Items to
[Gmail]/Sent Mail. I think I might find that a bit easier to get to grips
with, although that would require manually triggering or restarting Outlook,
so maybe I'm not onto a winner there. My prior experience with VBA consists
only of data manipulation within Excel.

Maybe I should just stick to option b. The only trouble with that is I keep
sending people empty emails because I've forgotten to attach the file!!

I have to say, I'm thinking of migrating to Thunderbird at this point (yes,
I know an Outlook newsgroup is not the place to mention such things).
That's what I'm currently using on my laptop and it does seem to put things
in the correct folder, although it's not without its own weird quirks and
seems more prone to crashing.