From: Badger on
I think you're right Bert,

Badger

From: dadiOH on
Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:OSrqEAvDLHA.3880(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl "Badger"
> <jerrymcm(a)msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On most computers, you have to hold the start button for at least 6
>> seconds.
>
> From the context of the message, I'm pretty sure the OP is talking
> about the red "Turn Off" button that appears along with the yellow
> "Stand By" and green "Restart" buttons in the "Turn off computer"
> dialog box that pops up when you select "Turn Off Computer" from the
> Start button popup menu.

Ah, yes, so he is. I can't say for sure but am guessing it links to
shutdown.exe.

OP, do a search for shutdown.exe. If you don't have it, get it - it goes in
the windows/system32 folder. There should also be a backup of it in the
windows/system32/dllcache folder.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Billns on
On 6/18/2010 5:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
> Charlie3110 wrote:
>> The turn off button on my Start button seems to have stopped working.
>> I can Restart or Stand By but not Turn Off. I have downloaded a
>> little program that I was recommended to download and saved it on my
>> desk top. This works fine just like my Turn Off button used to. How
>> can I restore this function to my Start button? Thanks
>
> Try...
> Control panel
> Power options
> Advanced tab
> Power buttons area

Uninstall your "little program." If that's not possible and this program
has been installed recently you might try System Restore to take your
machine back to a date before you installed it.

Using the big button on your computer enclosure should be used only as a
last resort to turn it off.

Bill
From: Twayne on
In news:2B400517-EB1C-44C9-BED2-2E9E9AE875E2(a)microsoft.com,
Charlie3110 <Charlie3110(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> The turn off button on my Start button seems to have
> stopped working. I can Restart or Stand By but not Turn
> Off. I have downloaded a little program that I was
> recommended to download and saved it on my desk top. This
> works fine just like my Turn Off button used to. How can I
> restore this function to my Start button? Thanks

Sometimes with setups like yours you have to hold the power button pressed
for 5 seconds or longer so it knows you want to shut down, not restart or
standby.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Unknown on
He's not talking about the power on button.