From: Jeff Needle on
Using OL 2003 on a WinXP system.

1. I need to run Outlook on both my desktop and my laptop. Is there a
pretty easy way to transfer my settings -- e-mail, addresses, notes, etc. --
from my desktop to my laptop?

2. This is about the newsreader. It's frustrating when you're used to
working quickly, as I am. I press "Reply," but this sets the response to
the poster instead of the newsgroup. I mean to remember to click on Reply
Group, but I keep forgetting. I use ctrl-r to respond. Some apps allow you
to remap the keyboard so that ctrl-r will be bound to Reply Group. Can I do
this with the OL Newsreader?

As always, thanks.

Jeffrey Needle
jeff.needle(a)gmail.com

From: DL on
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

From: Russ Valentine on
2. There is no newsreader in Outlook.

--
Russ Valentine

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Jeff Needle" <jeff.needle(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Using OL 2003 on a WinXP system.
>
> 1. I need to run Outlook on both my desktop and my laptop. Is there a
> pretty easy way to transfer my settings -- e-mail, addresses, notes, etc. --
> from my desktop to my laptop?

If you're using Outlook 2003 on both PCs, you can use the Microsoft Office
Save My Settings Wizard, which you should find under Start>All
Programs>Microsoft Office Tools>Save My Settings or Start>All
Programs>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office Tools>Save My Settings. By
default, it won't copy your PST (which is where your mail, notes, calendar,
contacts, and so on is), but it can be modified to do that. Better is using
the methods on the site DL indicated. It will transfer accounts, however. If
you're not using Outlook 2003 on both PCs, there is no good way of
transferring accounts. Don't even try. Just recreate them on the second PC.

> 2. This is about the newsreader. It's frustrating when you're used to
> working quickly, as I am. I press "Reply," but this sets the response to
> the poster instead of the newsgroup. I mean to remember to click on Reply
> Group, but I keep forgetting. I use ctrl-r to respond. Some apps allow you
> to remap the keyboard so that ctrl-r will be bound to Reply Group. Can I do
> this with the OL Newsreader?

The "Outlook Newsreader" is actually Outlook Express. There's a "Reply to
Group" button on the toolbar that you should be using to reply to a group
post. It's between the "Write Message" and "Reply to Sender" buttons, so it
should be the second button from the left.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
See http://www.slipstick.com/config/move_outlook.asp for help moving outlook
to a new computer.

I don't think oe lets you remap shortcuts. See http://www.insideoe.com/ or
visit the Outlook Express community on this server at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general -
the real OE experts can verify what OE is capable of.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?