From: Antares 531 on
I have another problem with correcting my errors in Quicken 2010
Premier Release R10. I made a simple typo in the Memo slot for one of
my entries, and can not figure out how to change this. I tried editing
the Investing window and this seems to have worked okay but it didn't
change the error in the same Memo note in the Banking window.

I tried editing this Memo in the Banking window and got the same error
message I have received any time I tried to make a change in the
Banking window..."You should make this change from the Investment
Account to avoid losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from
the Edit menu."

Is there any workable way to edit a Memo in the Banking window?

Thanks, Gordon
From: jslcr1 on
On Jun 11, 3:31 pm, Antares 531 <gordonlrDEL...(a)swbell.net> wrote:
> I have another problem with correcting my errors in Quicken 2010
> Premier Release R10. I made a simple typo in the Memo slot for one of
> my entries, and can not figure out how to change this. I tried editing
> the Investing window and this seems to have worked okay but it didn't
> change the error in the same Memo note in the Banking window.
>
> I tried editing this Memo in the Banking window and got the same error
> message I have received any time I tried to make a change in the
> Banking window..."You should make this change from the Investment
> Account to avoid losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from
> the Edit menu."
>
> Is there any workable way to edit a Memo in the Banking window?
>
> Thanks, Gordon

You should be able to open your register and go to the transaction you
want to edit and fix the Memo.
Open the register - go to your transaction - click on the Memo box -
type in the correct info and then click enter
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/jl747/RegisterColumnHeader.jpg

From: Antares 531 on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:33:37 -0700 (PDT), jslcr1 <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 11, 3:31�pm, Antares 531 <gordonlrDEL...(a)swbell.net> wrote:
>> I have another problem with correcting my errors in Quicken 2010
>> Premier Release R10. I made a simple typo in the Memo slot for one of
>> my entries, and can not figure out how to change this. I tried editing
>> the Investing window and this seems to have worked okay but it didn't
>> change the error in the same Memo note in the Banking window.
>>
>> I tried editing this Memo in the Banking window and got the same error
>> message I have received any time I tried to make a change in the
>> Banking window..."You should make this change from the Investment
>> Account to avoid losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from
>> the Edit menu."
>>
>> Is there any workable way to edit a Memo in the Banking window?
>>
>> Thanks, Gordon
>
>You should be able to open your register and go to the transaction you
>want to edit and fix the Memo.
>Open the register - go to your transaction - click on the Memo box -
>type in the correct info and then click enter
>http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/jl747/RegisterColumnHeader.jpg

It seems that this should work but, so far, I've not been able to get
it to. I have gone to the Investing register and made the Memo change,
then pressed the Enter key. The Memo change looks right in this
register but when I go to the Banking register the change did not
occur. That is, the original Memo note with its error remains
unchanged.

I'm wondering if maybe I have to change the Clr column from R to c or
blank, but I haven't yet figured out how to do this.
From: John Pollard on
Antares 531 wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:33:37 -0700 (PDT), jslcr1 <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 11, 3:31 pm, Antares 531 <gordonlrDEL...(a)swbell.net> wrote:
>>> I have another problem with correcting my errors in Quicken 2010
>>> Premier Release R10. I made a simple typo in the Memo slot for one
>>> of my entries, and can not figure out how to change this. I tried
>>> editing the Investing window and this seems to have worked okay but
>>> it didn't change the error in the same Memo note in the Banking
>>> window.
>>>
>>> I tried editing this Memo in the Banking window and got the same
>>> error message I have received any time I tried to make a change in
>>> the Banking window..."You should make this change from the
>>> Investment Account to avoid losing transaction detail. Click Go to
>>> Transfer from the Edit menu."
>>>
>>> Is there any workable way to edit a Memo in the Banking window?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Gordon
>>
>> You should be able to open your register and go to the transaction
>> you want to edit and fix the Memo.
>> Open the register - go to your transaction - click on the Memo box -
>> type in the correct info and then click enter
>> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/jl747/RegisterColumnHeader.jpg
>>
> It seems that this should work but, so far, I've not been able to get
> it to. I have gone to the Investing register and made the Memo change,
> then pressed the Enter key. The Memo change looks right in this
> register but when I go to the Banking register the change did not
> occur. That is, the original Memo note with its error remains
> unchanged.

Changing payee or memo data in transfers does not propagate the change to
the other half of the transfer ... regardless of the account types
involved.

> I'm wondering if maybe I have to change the Clr column from R to c or
> blank, but I haven't yet figured out how to do this.

You would select the transaction, click on the two periods after the "R"
and select "c" or space in the resulting drop down. But this won't help
with changing the memo in the linked checking account.

For that I believe you have to delete the investment account transaction
and re-enter it with the desired text in the memo field.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: TomYoung on
On Jun 12, 6:11 am, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Changing payee or memo data in transfers does not propagate the change to
> the other half of the transfer ... regardless of the account types
> involved.

Has this behavior changed within Quicken somewhere along the line? I
very seldom make these changes yet it seems to me that in earlier
Quicken versions changes in payee or memo *would* be reflected in the
offsetting account. If I'm correct that this is a change in the
programming, it sure doesn't make any sense to me.

Tom Young