From: Martin S Taylor on
Tim Streater wrote
>> Are you interested as a user, or as a programmer? As a user, you don't
>> get a choice.
>
> Ah, fishhooks!

Is my memory failing, or did you use to get the choice in System 3 or
thereabouts?

MST

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 23:31:38 +0100, Martin S Taylor
<mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

>Tim Streater wrote
>>> Are you interested as a user, or as a programmer? As a user, you don't
>>> get a choice.
>>
>> Ah, fishhooks!
>
>Is my memory failing, or did you use to get the choice in System 3 or
>thereabouts?

I'm certain that ye olde MacOS had a control panel for blinkiness,
yes. Very very early version here -
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Desk_Ornaments.txt

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"other e-mail programs like Eudora are not designed to enable virus replication."
Microsoft implicitly admits Outlook Express design criteria at
From: Pd on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> I'm trying MailForge (a Eudora replacement [1]).

snippage

> [1] Not sure why I'm bothering. Meantime I've written my own which I use
> for all email now.

You've written your own email application?

--
Pd
From: Pd on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <1jmv27g.rlv4zt5y2el6N%peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid>,
> peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote:
>
> > Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying MailForge (a Eudora replacement [1]).
> >
> > snippage
> >
> > > [1] Not sure why I'm bothering. Meantime I've written my own which I use
> > > for all email now.
> >
> > You've written your own email application?
>
> Yes. I wanted to see if it was possible, using a browser and JavaScript
> to present to the user, and PHP with SQLite to do the backend stuff.
> There are some minor limitations to do with what JavaScript is permitted
> to do, but rather to my surprise I have been able to incorporate all the
> features that made Eudora (to me) the best e-mail program.

Wild - so how come it takes the developers of Penelope, Mailforge,
Gyazmail etc years to not arrive at the same place? Is it because your
favourite features are a small subset of all Eudora features?

--
Pd
From: Pd on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > Yes. I wanted to see if it was possible, using a browser and JavaScript
> > > to present to the user, and PHP with SQLite to do the backend stuff.
> > > There are some minor limitations to do with what JavaScript is permitted
> > > to do, but rather to my surprise I have been able to incorporate all the
> > > features that made Eudora (to me) the best e-mail program.
> >
> > Wild - so how come it takes the developers of Penelope, Mailforge,
> > Gyazmail etc years to not arrive at the same place? Is it because your
> > favourite features are a small subset of all Eudora features?
>
> Partly. But also because:
snip 12 reasons "why it's not quite 100% Eudora-replacement yet"
> So lots to do yet but it's keeping me off the streets!

Fair enough. I'm still impressed, both by your l33t skillz, and that
Javascript is that powerful.

I recently read that Javascript owes some of its parentage to Hypertalk
which I really liked - perhaps I should put a bit more effort into
learning it.

--
Pd
 |  Next  |  Last