From: Geoff Schaller on
Simon.

You are missing the point. An application user would NOT normally have
any rights to anything outside of public and private folders. A new
folder at the root of C:\ is the same. Generally with a DBF style app
you are expecting to write to them. Yes? <g> The other applications work
because generally they don't write to stuff.

UAC or not, unless you are an administrator on that PC (not recommended
of course), users do not have rights to folders at the root of C: drive.
You will need to assign those rights.

Geoff

From: Simon Goodman on
Hi Geoff,

I do get your point.

Its just not relevant in this case.

My main programs all work in the same folder structures and do an awful lot
more reading and writing than the problem apps - so if the folder structure
or security was the issue they would / should ALL fail.

Why these particular apps fail is still a mystery but must be down to
something on my PC. Generating a new standard MDI app from the samples fails
with the name EstUpdates.Exe but works with the name EstUxdates.Exe - Now
that's odd. Just changing the name on my problem app doesn't fix the issue
unfortunately.

It may be something like the Anti Virus or Windows Defender or some other
process that's tripping up these programs.

As users will only run this program after a program update its actually
appropriate for an Admin warning - so I'll probably leave it for the moment
and re-write it step by step to see where it falls over.

Simon