From: Folderol on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:51:48 +0100
Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <hpg9tc$18v$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
> > Are you quite sure its isn't a problem with BT kit somewhere en route?
>
> Especially as there was a fire/flood at BT's Paddington exchange which
> affected lots of places, not all of which have yet been fixed.
>
> Darwen (Lancs) and North Finchley (London) exchanges have ADSL faults,
> too.

Stranger, and stranger. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

--
Will J G
From: tinnews on
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:51:48 +0100
> Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <hpg9tc$18v$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> > Martin Gregorie wrote:
> >
> > > Are you quite sure its isn't a problem with BT kit somewhere en route?
> >
> > Especially as there was a fire/flood at BT's Paddington exchange which
> > affected lots of places, not all of which have yet been fixed.
> >
> > Darwen (Lancs) and North Finchley (London) exchanges have ADSL faults,
> > too.
>
> Stranger, and stranger. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

There was a problem in the routing tables at UKFSN which has recently
been fixed. All this was reported on the UKFSN mailing list.

--
Chris Green

From: Folderol on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:30:36 +0100
tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk wrote:

> Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:51:48 +0100
> > Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> > > Especially as there was a fire/flood at BT's Paddington exchange which
> > > affected lots of places, not all of which have yet been fixed.
> > >
> > > Darwen (Lancs) and North Finchley (London) exchanges have ADSL faults,
> > > too.
> >
> > Stranger, and stranger. Everything seems to be back to normal now.
> >
> There was a problem in the routing tables at UKFSN which has recently
> been fixed. All this was reported on the UKFSN mailing list.

Very true, and I pick up this mailing list with pop3, which wasn't
working until *after* I'd discovered a work around, but by then usenet
wasn't working while they fixed another problem. This made any further
commenting here somewhat unlikely.

--
Will J G
From: tinnews on
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:30:36 +0100
> tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk wrote:
>
> > Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> > > Stranger, and stranger. Everything seems to be back to normal now.
> > >
> > There was a problem in the routing tables at UKFSN which has recently
> > been fixed. All this was reported on the UKFSN mailing list.
>
> Very true, and I pick up this mailing list with pop3, which wasn't
> working until *after* I'd discovered a work around, but by then usenet
> wasn't working while they fixed another problem. This made any further
> commenting here somewhat unlikely.

I get the mailing list sent 'direct' to me using SMTP so I'm not
dependent on POP3 or IMAP to collect mail.

I use eternal-september for my news.

So neither depends on a working UKFSN at all (except that something
has to send the mailing list mail to me of course).

--
Chris Green