From: Rupert on
On Apr 3, 12:59 pm, "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com>
wrote:
> "bob urz" <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message

> > Gareth Magennis wrote:
>
> >> "bob urz" <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message

> >> Bob, what does a Boeing contract have to do with live sound?
>
> > Nothing? Whoops.
> > My copy and paste attempt obviously failed....
>
> >http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=250124
>
> > which is still not directly live sound, but about electronics.
> > And since a large percentage of gear seems to get made in that
> > part of the world these days, of some interest.
>
> > It would be interesting to know about the Chinese live sound
> > production market. other than the Olympics, you really don't see
> > a lot of stories on it. Who knows, feedback could but you in jail
> > over there...
>
> > I recently read that JBL was going to quit building diaphragms
> > and some speakers in Northridge. Probably another manufacturing
> > job headed to china or such in the future.
>
> > bob
>
> Probably this then.
>
> http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=v....

Didn't work out to well when EAW sent all their manufacturing to
China. Almost did the company in - until they brought the high end
lines back to the U.S. last year. Hopefully JBL doesn't suffer the
same fate, though they have been manufacturing their lower end lines
there for some time now. Looks like I won't be buying JBL drivers
anymore. I'll stick with the EV and the RCF stuff I suppose.

Rupert
From: bob urz on
Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:59 pm, "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com>
> wrote:
>> "bob urz" <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message

>>> Nothing? Whoops.
>>> My copy and paste attempt obviously failed....
>>> http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=250124
>>> which is still not directly live sound, but about electronics.
>>> And since a large percentage of gear seems to get made in that
>>> part of the world these days, of some interest.
>>> It would be interesting to know about the Chinese live sound
>>> production market. other than the Olympics, you really don't see
>>> a lot of stories on it. Who knows, feedback could but you in jail
>>> over there...
>>> I recently read that JBL was going to quit building diaphragms
>>> and some speakers in Northridge. Probably another manufacturing
>>> job headed to china or such in the future.
>>> bob
>> Probably this then.
>>
>> http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=v...
>
> Didn't work out to well when EAW sent all their manufacturing to
> China. Almost did the company in - until they brought the high end
> lines back to the U.S. last year. Hopefully JBL doesn't suffer the
> same fate, though they have been manufacturing their lower end lines
> there for some time now. Looks like I won't be buying JBL drivers
> anymore. I'll stick with the EV and the RCF stuff I suppose.
>
> Rupert

I was thinking the same thing. EAW owed the concert touring market back
in the pre line array days of 650's, 850's and such. Then they pissed
this all away. I suppose you can say the Vertec series is the modern day
workhorse in concert touring. But just like what happened to EAW,
it can happen to JBL if the market perceives inferior product or
performance.

I don't know if i can call it a seismic shift, but i am seeing more D&B
out these days. And the guys that can afford it out with Meyers.
Who knows? maybe EV can make a comeback with US sourced touring systems.
Other than Kenny Chesney and old DB Chicago stuff, i don't see a lot of
EV in the wild lately...

bob

From: Rupert on
On Apr 3, 8:47 pm, bob urz <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > On Apr 3, 12:59 pm, "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com>
> > wrote:
> >> "bob urz" <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message

> >> Probably this then.
>
> >>http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=v...
>
> > Didn't work out to well when EAW sent all their manufacturing to
> > China. Almost did the company in - until they brought the high end
> > lines back to the U.S. last year. Hopefully JBL doesn't suffer the
> > same fate, though they have been manufacturing their lower end lines
> > there for some time now. Looks like I won't be buying JBL drivers
> > anymore. I'll stick with the EV and the RCF stuff I suppose.
>
> > Rupert
>
> I was thinking the same thing. EAW owed the concert touring market back
> in the pre line array days of 650's, 850's and such. Then they pissed
> this all away. I suppose you can say the Vertec series is the modern day
> workhorse in concert touring. But just like what happened to EAW,
> it can happen to JBL if the market perceives inferior product or
> performance.
>
> I don't know if i can call it a seismic shift, but i am seeing more D&B
> out these days. And the guys that can afford it out with Meyers.
> Who knows? maybe EV can make a comeback with US sourced touring systems.
> Other than Kenny Chesney and old DB Chicago stuff, i don't see a lot of
> EV in the wild lately...
>
> bob

True about EV. The X-Array and X-LIne boxes are decent enough, but I
don't see a lot of it either. I think AC/DC is touring with X-Array,
good ol' point source stuff. d&b has been making some big inroads in
the line array market alright, but I suspect L'Acoustics new K1 box
might put a halt to that as the new premium system when it get into
more hands. Only 2 or 3 in N. America at the moment. I've heard both
in a variety of situations now and the K1 is pretty amazing,
definitely has an edge.

As for EAW, it wasn't just a perceived quality issue, though that was
part of it. They actually contracted with a supplier that just up and
shut their doors. You couldn't get the stuff you ordered for a long
time. Mackie really screwed their pooch. The new KF740 looks like a
very interesting box and could help them with a comeback. Only time
will tell.

Rupert
From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 04/04/2010 05:47, in article hp9257$c4m$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
<sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:

> Rupert wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 12:59 pm, "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com>
>> wrote:
>>> "bob urz" <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message

>>> Probably this then.
>>>
>>> http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=v...
>>
>> Didn't work out to well when EAW sent all their manufacturing to
>> China. Almost did the company in - until they brought the high end
>> lines back to the U.S. last year. Hopefully JBL doesn't suffer the
>> same fate, though they have been manufacturing their lower end lines
>> there for some time now. Looks like I won't be buying JBL drivers
>> anymore. I'll stick with the EV and the RCF stuff I suppose.
>>
>> Rupert
>
> I was thinking the same thing. EAW owed the concert touring market back
> in the pre line array days of 650's, 850's and such. Then they pissed
> this all away. I suppose you can say the Vertec series is the modern day
> workhorse in concert touring. But just like what happened to EAW,
> it can happen to JBL if the market perceives inferior product or
> performance.
>
> I don't know if i can call it a seismic shift, but i am seeing more D&B
> out these days. And the guys that can afford it out with Meyers.
> Who knows? maybe EV can make a comeback with US sourced touring systems.
> Other than Kenny Chesney and old DB Chicago stuff, i don't see a lot of
> EV in the wild lately...

Just an observation: to me it looks like the US companies, like JBL, EV and
to a certain extent also EAW, always try to cover the whole market, from
premium systems down to bottom-feeder plastic speakers. Whereas the European
companies that seem to be doing rather well at the moment, like d&b or
L'Acoustics, only do high-end stuff. The only European company that tried to
do both high-end and low-end which comes to mind is Turbosound, and look
where they are now.

Not sure what conclusion one can draw from that observation.

But I'm glad that there is still quality stuff being manufactured in Europe.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 04/04/2010 05:47, in article hp9257$c4m$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>
>> Rupert wrote:

>>> Didn't work out to well when EAW sent all their manufacturing to
>>> China. Almost did the company in - until they brought the high end
>>> lines back to the U.S. last year. Hopefully JBL doesn't suffer the
>>> same fate, though they have been manufacturing their lower end lines
>>> there for some time now. Looks like I won't be buying JBL drivers
>>> anymore. I'll stick with the EV and the RCF stuff I suppose.
>>>
>>> Rupert
>>
>> I was thinking the same thing. EAW owed the concert touring market back
>> in the pre line array days of 650's, 850's and such. Then they pissed
>> this all away. I suppose you can say the Vertec series is the modern day
>> workhorse in concert touring. But just like what happened to EAW,
>> it can happen to JBL if the market perceives inferior product or
>> performance.
>>
>> I don't know if i can call it a seismic shift, but i am seeing more D&B
>> out these days. And the guys that can afford it out with Meyers.
>> Who knows? maybe EV can make a comeback with US sourced touring systems.
>> Other than Kenny Chesney and old DB Chicago stuff, i don't see a lot of
>> EV in the wild lately...
>
> Just an observation: to me it looks like the US companies, like JBL, EV
> and
> to a certain extent also EAW, always try to cover the whole market, from
> premium systems down to bottom-feeder plastic speakers. Whereas the
> European
> companies that seem to be doing rather well at the moment, like d&b or
> L'Acoustics, only do high-end stuff. The only European company that tried
> do both high-end and low-end which comes to mind is Turbosound, and look
> where they are now.
>
> Not sure what conclusion one can draw from that observation.
>
> But I'm glad that there is still quality stuff being manufactured in
> Europe.

some get close but nothing beats Meyer IMO
George