From: Big E on
I've been fiddling around and I'm still not sure that it's a hardware problem
with the motherboard. On a lark, I did a driver update for the MIDI interface
and now the interface does not work. It shows up under USB controllers as
"MOTU USB MIDI (WDM)". It shows the device is working correctly. However,
there is another entry under Other Devices - Unknown Device. If I remove the
unknown device, nothing changes. I can see the .sys driver files under
Windows\System32\drivers but Windows won't let me pick them to install.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks
From: Big E on
More info...

I deleted all the host controllers and root hubs and restarted so they would
be reinstalled. Windows found no drivers for them and now all the USB
controllers are listed under Other Devices with that dreaded yellow question
mark. If it makes any difference, the chipset is SiS 661 FX for the North
Bridge and 963/963L for the South Bridge. SiS website lists no USB drivers as
they are provided by the operating system.

This sounds like software to me but I'm thinking of trying a PCI USB card
and seeing what happens.
From: Adrian C on
Big E wrote:

> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (this is on PCI bus 0, device 3,

Googling "Sis 7001" comes up with this page
<http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20USB%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.htm>

PCI add-in card I think.

--
Adrian C
From: Big E on
I wonder if the PCI bus is going out or if XP has gotten stupid.
1. The onboard SiS USB has been disabled.
2. Installed PCI USB card (supposedly PnP campatible).
3. XP knew a USB controller was plugged in but would not recognize drivers
on the CD.
4. Downloaded and ran a setup file from the mfgr's website to install
drivers. That helped a little bit.
Device manager now shows (2) PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controllers and
(2) USB 2.0 Root Hub Devices. There is no Open Host Controller or Root Hub.
USB still not functional.
Here's the kicker - Had to move the audio card to a different slot to make
anything happen. Now XP can't "find" the audio card drivers even though I can
see them in the drivers folder and point XP to look in System32 (it won't let
me burrow down farther than that).

Point is I can see all the drivers for both devices but XP can't. Could the
PCI bus be getting wonky?

From: Paul on
Big E wrote:
> I wonder if the PCI bus is going out or if XP has gotten stupid.
> 1. The onboard SiS USB has been disabled.
> 2. Installed PCI USB card (supposedly PnP campatible).
> 3. XP knew a USB controller was plugged in but would not recognize drivers
> on the CD.
> 4. Downloaded and ran a setup file from the mfgr's website to install
> drivers. That helped a little bit.
> Device manager now shows (2) PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controllers and
> (2) USB 2.0 Root Hub Devices. There is no Open Host Controller or Root Hub.
> USB still not functional.
> Here's the kicker - Had to move the audio card to a different slot to make
> anything happen. Now XP can't "find" the audio card drivers even though I can
> see them in the drivers folder and point XP to look in System32 (it won't let
> me burrow down farther than that).
>
> Point is I can see all the drivers for both devices but XP can't. Could the
> PCI bus be getting wonky?

I have a situation like that. My sound card has one bit on the PCI bus
that seems to make bad connections. If the connection is open, I see
a "Hardware" wizard, asking for drivers. If I power off and reseat the
card, the drivers that are already installed, work fine. I can use
Everest or the Device Manager, to check the current VEN/DEV info,
and see the one bit difference.

The USB drivers should already be in WinXP, and if you were to
check the USB card CDROM, it might show either of two things

1) Ancient USB2 driver, from before WinXP SP1.
2) If intended for SP1 or later, the driver folder for WinXP
may be empty. Licensing restrictions prevent distributing a
USB driver, for stuff after SP1.

If you look for usbport.inf in your inf folder, that file
covers common USB host devices.

[Manufacturer]
%AMD.Mfg%=AMD.Section
%ACER.Mfg%=ACER.Section
%Compaq.Mfg%=Compaq.Section
%CMD.Mfg%=CMD.Section
%Cypress.Mfg%=Cypress.Section
%Generic.Mfg%=Generic.Section
%Intel.Mfg%=Intel.Section
%Lucent.Mfg%=Lucent.Section
%NEC.Mfg%=NEC.Section
%Microsoft.Mfg%=Microsoft.Section
%OPTi.Mfg%=OPTi.Section
%Philips.Mfg%=Philips.Section
%Reliance.Mfg%=Reliance.Section
%SIS.Mfg%=SIS.Section
%SMSC.Mfg%=SMSC.Section
%Symbios.Mfg%=Symbios.Section
%VIA.Mfg%=VIA.Section

[SIS.Section]
%PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7001&CC_0C0310.DeviceDesc%=OHCI_HYDRA.Dev,PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7001&CC_0C0310
%PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002.DeviceDesc%=EHCI.Dev,PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002

On newer chipsets, the manufacturers try to reuse their existing
VEN/DEV info, so that the default driver works automatically. (7001
and 7002 would have been used on a lot of different SIS chipsets.) The
logic blocks should have the standard interface, so the Microsoft
driver will feel right at home.

You can get a copy of Everest here, and use Devices:PCI to
view your hardware. The list of hardware makes it a bit
quicker (fewer mouse clicks) to see DeviceID info.

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

HTH,
Paul