From: JudyH on
Yeah, I know, but 'it' asked for the CD. Plus, this isn't just happening
with the PCI card. It also happened with a MicroSoft webcam (but a Logitech
managed to limp onboard somehow) AND a plain old optical USB mouse.

From: CBoom on
Can you tell me what "it" is?

listen...

here is how most webcams work>>>

You install the software-driver first

and THEN you plug in the device,

then windows says.. aha here is the driver for the think you plugged in and

presto! its installed

Some devices even have a STICKER right on the USB cable that say WARNING>>>
INSTALL SOFTWARE DRIVER FIRST!!!

try it this way...

I am here to help you..

From: Jim on
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:15:03 -0800, JudyH
<JudyH(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP. I cannot install any new
>USB devices. The software and hardware appear to load OK but then the
>Install New Hardware Wizard says it can't find the software. Have tried
>installing USB 2.0 PCI card in case that was the problem, but can't install
>this either - same error. Any clues/solutions?

Does it give a "browse" option ?
From: JudyH on

Can get to browse, yes, from dialogue box, or via Device Manager to things
like 'update drivers' etc. but it still 'can't find the software'. Pointing
to Windows\System32, for instance, still yields same response.

Is this likely to be a device conflict? Hardware fault? Something screwed
up in the Registry thru trying to install MicroSoft webcam?????

From: Kaysay on

Hi Judy,

If you go to Device Manager does it show all your usb controllers as
normal or is there a yellow exclamation point there or a red x on one of
them.

kaysay

--
Kaysay