From: Tom Hall on
XP Pro SP3 here.

Coincidentally or not, since installing the critical update that Microsoft
released outside of its normal update schedule before Christmas, my
computer will no longer shut down or restart by itself.

The system proceeds through the usual process until nothing is left but a
blue screen and the mouse cursor (which is still functional) - and it stops
there.

I've tried uninstalling the critical update and even uninstalled video
drivers I had previously installed to support an ATI Radeon HD 4870
graphics card I had added about a week prior to the appearance of the
problem.

Neither of these worked. The system will not power down for either a
shutdown or restart.

The system is basically an Intel system, about 4 years old now:

CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G/GL/GV
System Memory 2016 MB
BIOS Type AMI (04/29/05)

When the room is quiet, I can hear disk activity for a few seconds after
the screen clears, then eventually it stops. I've left the system in this
state for as long as several hours and returned to find it unchanged.

My understanding is that it's probably a hardware issue (powerdown) rather
than a software (shutdown-restart) issue, but I'm not a hardware guy so I
don't know how to troubleshoot the problem.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
From: Peter Foldes on
See if the following helps

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Peter

From: Gerry on
Tom

Download and install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://snipurl.com/5b61

UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt
http://snipurl.com/ko8m

Is anything seen to be running in Task Manager when the computer does
not shutdown?

Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for
Errors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48
hours ago.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

BTW your motherboard and chipset ( or something very similar ) is
installed on this computer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Tom Hall on
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:38:47 -0000, "Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>Download and install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
>Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
>http://snipurl.com/5b61
>
>UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt
>http://snipurl.com/ko8m

UPHClean is installed here and has been for quite some time.

>Is anything seen to be running in Task Manager when the computer does
>not shutdown?

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. At the point where the system
stops responding, I have nothing but a blank blue screen and a mouse cursor
that still moves.

>Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for
>Errors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48
>hours ago.

Every Sunday night I run a system virus check with AVG which is set to shut
down the system when finished. The last entry in the System Event log is
this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6006
Date: 1/5/2009
Time: 1:19:05 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TOM
The Event log service was stopped.

Data:
0000: ff 00 00 00 �...

There is an earlier entry that has been around for quite some time and I've
so far not been able to find out what causes it. Rarely it has apparently
caused the system to hang during shutdown but in most instances shutdown
proceeded normally whether this message appeared or not:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 1/5/2009
Time: 1:18:51 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TOM
Application popup: dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The application
failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

Every time this message appears in the System log, there's this in the
Application log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: UPHClean
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1010
Date: 1/5/2009
Time: 1:19:03 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TOM
User profile hive cleanup service stopped successfully.

>BTW your motherboard and chipset ( or something very similar ) is
>installed on this computer.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
From: Gerry on
Tom

Application popup: dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The
application
failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

I spent some time researching this error. This is an Information Report
not an Error or Warning. The question in my mind is what is causing
dwwin.exe to start?

The process called dwwin.exe is the main executable for Doctor Watson.
Doctor Watson is used to collect information relating to a program
crash. There is a Doctors Watson log but I suspect the problem wiil not
be logged because Doctor Watson has not started. You may have an earlier
Event Viewer report but I am guessing. The only other way to discover
the cause is to check what is running in Task Manager, shut down and
then see if the Event ID 26 Information report appears. This approach
might be tedious.

I found one programme which has been linked to the problem -Magic Tune.
Messenger is another possibility. However, it could be any Application
producing an error shortly before shutdown.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~