From: me here on
Sandgroper wrote:

> "me here" <gloaming_agnet(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > OK here's an odd one - tell me what's going on here - XP Pro system.
> >
> > I have a 1 TB seagate USB drive - NTFS.
> >
> > I also have a 512 MB Lexar (OfficeWorks) thumb drive - FAT32.
> >
> > And a 4 GB Memorex Mini TD thumb drive - Fat32.
> >
> > The Seagate and the Lexar can both be plugged into the USB on the PC
> > (any port) and no problem, both are recognised.
> >
> > The Seagate and the Memorex can't coexist, as only the first one
> > plugged in will be recoognised.
> >
> > In fact if the Memorex is plugged in first, the Seagate will spin up
> > and then shut down.
> >
> > It is PC specific, because if I try the same trick on another XP
> > Pro PC there's no problem.
> >
> > So there must be some setting in the first PC that is out of whack.
> > All drivers are latest for the board (Gigabyte).
> >
> > Any ideas, and why just the Memorex ?
> >

> Have you tried to re-format the Memorex thumb drive ?

Yes tried both Fat and NTFS.

No difference.
From: Fred on
The USB Fixit is this one.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-au

From: me here on
Fred wrote:

> The USB Fixit is this one.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-au
>
> Rob wrote:
> > On 4/05/2010 7:10 PM, me here wrote:
> > >
> >> OK here's an odd one - tell me what's going on here - XP Pro
> system.
> > >
> >> I have a 1 TB seagate USB drive - NTFS.
> > >
> >> I also have a 512 MB Lexar (OfficeWorks) thumb drive - FAT32.
> > >
> >> And a 4 GB Memorex Mini TD thumb drive - Fat32.
> > >
> >> The Seagate and the Lexar can both be plugged into the USB on the
> PC >> (any port) and no problem, both are recognised.
> > >
> >> The Seagate and the Memorex can't coexist, as only the first one
> >> plugged in will be recoognised.
> > >
> >> In fact if the Memorex is plugged in first, the Seagate will spin
> up >> and then shut down.
> > >
> >> It is PC specific, because if I try the same trick on another XP
> Pro >> PC there's no problem.
> > >
> >> So there must be some setting in the first PC that is out of whack.
> >> All drivers are latest for the board (Gigabyte).
> > >
> >> Any ideas, and why just the Memorex ?
> > >

> > There is a quick fix on the MS site see if I can find it.
> >
> > Nup but try this first
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardware_device_problems
> >
> > but I think it was one of the below.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/fixit?fi=50027
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/fixit?fi=50026

Fred, that's typical MS :-)

It talks about fixing the USB problem, and then when you run it , the
app goes off on a tangent and fixes yout CD/DVD.

You've gotta laugh...oh well. It's getting a bit late so I might try a
registry hack tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys, see how it goes after a bit of a nap.

To be continued........