From: Luis Santana on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Luis Santana wrote:
>
>>> you can log in and kill the x server and the machine comes alive again.
>> It's a total system freeze as I mentioned before, no ssh, no ping, no
>> tftp, nothing. As for synergys, even without it the system just freezes
>> up on me. I'm starting to think that maybe Ubuntu is misreading my cpu
>> temp and causes it to trip the "panic mode" setting thus freezing the
>> box. I'll look into that after a nap and report back
>
> Could be an issue with the graphics card/driver, but is difficult to confirm
> without knowing what it it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00045562#N930

For those that apparently don't want to google for the system specs,
there's the HP product page
From: Eclectic on
I guess I hadn't realized that SSH would be down by default in Ubuntu,
so I could retry the test...but Ping doesn't work either, so my guess
is complete system lock (no way Ping reply is disabled at default is
there?).

I'm leaning toward a kernel issue with the older hardware. It's a P4
system 1.8ghz (I think).

>are you leaving web pages with flash open?

The only web page left open is google documents, so no, no flash
content. When I left it last night, google docs was the only thing
open.

>how nuch swap and ram do you have?
1 gb of ram. I just let Ubuntu partition the swap automatically.

Video card is an Nvidia GForce 2 MX. I don't know if it matters or
not, but the processor on the video card was pretty darn hot even
though the system's been sitting frozen for hours.

I just pulled the yamaha sound card. Just in case. At the moment, I
have no need for sound anyway, but I will want to change that in the
future.

From: Eclectic on
I just had it lock again. SSH is locked out too. Its a complete
system lock.

It does appear though that it's trying to go to the screensaver, and I
thought I had that shut off. So, I'm going to investigate that a bit
more. However, yesterday it was locked and it definately was not on
the screensaver.
From: Eclectic on
I think I decided yesterday that being with or without the screensaver
wasn't changing anything. So, I enabled it again, while leaving all
of the power management off. I have again disabled it now, and I am
still leaving the power management off.

It locked this time after approximately 45 minutes between testing.
From: Omar Colocci on
I'm having the exact same problem. Mostly Ubuntu freezes (total system
lock, no mouse, no kb) when "left alone" for a few minutes, but a
couple times it froze right on my face, during use.

My specs are a Core2 Quad Q6600, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600 GT. Main
partition is 45GB ext3 and swap about 2GB.

Have tried completely removing compiz libraries, with no effect, so I
guess it's not a video problem. The weird thing is that 9.04 worked
perfectly on this machine.

I'm clueless.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4