From: David W. Hodgins on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 00:09:06 -0500, Omar Colocci <oscolocci(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having the exact same problem. Mostly Ubuntu freezes (total system
> lock, no mouse, no kb) when "left alone" for a few minutes, but a
> couple times it froze right on my face, during use.
>
> My specs are a Core2 Quad Q6600, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600 GT. Main
> partition is 45GB ext3 and swap about 2GB.

I recently had problems with a new system with a nvidia 9600GT
card in it. The system would reboot or lock up completely. The
problem turned out to be the power supply.

The 500W power supply only had 24 amps available on the +12V rail.
The 9600GT card calls for a minimum of 26 amps +12V. Replacing
the PS with a 650W one that has 52 amps on +12V fixed it.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: shortT on
On Nov 1, 6:07 pm, "Dr. Deb" <debsm...(a)mon-cre.net> wrote:
> Luis Santana wrote:
> > Hey anyone have problems with Ubuntu 9.10 just randomly freezing up if
> > you leave it inactive for a bit? It seems everytime I go to work and
> > come back Karmic Koala just totally hangs itself and I need to do a hard
> > reboot.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Luis
>
> Yes, on Xubuntu and Kubuntu both, after I finally got them to load by
> turning everything off in F6.
>
> I borrowed an old Dell (hate name brand computers because of the squirrely
> stuff they put in the bios) and got UbuntuStudio to load.  Hated it.  I am
> now attempting to load Xubuntu will post about it later.
>
> I do have one question - is there any chance that Ubuntu is secretly
> underwritten by Micosoft in an attempt to discredit Linux as a valid
> OS?  ;-)

I would believe that if Microsoft was capable of writing an OS.
But so far I have seen no proof of that.

From: Omar Colocci on
On Nov 4, 3:36 pm, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 00:09:06 -0500, Omar Colocci <oscolo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm having the exact same problem. Mostly Ubuntu freezes (total system
> > lock, no mouse, no kb) when "left alone" for a few minutes, but a
> > couple times it froze right on my face, during use.
>
> > My specs are a Core2 Quad Q6600, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600 GT. Main
> > partition is 45GB ext3 and swap about 2GB.
>
> I recently had problems with a new system with a nvidia 9600GT
> card in it.  The system would reboot or lock up completely.  The
> problem turned out to be the power supply.
>
> The 500W power supply only had 24 amps available on the +12V rail.
> The 9600GT card calls for a minimum of 26 amps +12V.  Replacing
> the PS with a 650W one that has 52 amps on +12V fixed it.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

The thing is that Windows Vista and 9.04 work just fine on this
machine, so I don't believe it's a power supply issue.
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 05 November 2009 02:59 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
as shortT wrote...

> On Nov 1, 6:07 pm, "Dr. Deb" <debsm...(a)mon-cre.net> wrote:
>
>> I do have one question - is there any chance that Ubuntu is secretly
>> underwritten by Micosoft in an attempt to discredit Linux as a valid
>> OS?  ;-)
>
> I would believe that if Microsoft was capable of writing an OS.
> But so far I have seen no proof of that.

The only thing decent they've ever released was XENIX, but even that was
not really written by them. It was a version of AT&T UNIX which they
have taken a license on (through Novell, I believe) and which they had
converted to work on the Intel 80286.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)