From: Tony Houghton on
In <00afe2b9-8512-44fe-8807-395acbd27d19(a)c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 22 May, 18:26, Tony Houghton <h...(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> If you have "Desktop effects" enabled Ubuntu uses compiz, disabled it
>> uses metacity.
>
> I have desktop effects running but to move the maximise/minimise/close
> buttons I edit the metacity settings. Just saying.

compiz uses some of metacity's settings, especially the ones for its
basic appearance.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Ian on
On 23 May, 12:19, Tony Houghton <h...(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> In <00afe2b9-8512-44fe-8807-395acbd27...(a)c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Ian <ian.gro...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 22 May, 18:26, Tony Houghton <h...(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> If you have "Desktop effects" enabled Ubuntu uses compiz, disabled it
> >> uses metacity.
>
> > I have desktop effects running but to move the maximise/minimise/close
> > buttons I edit the metacity settings. Just saying.
>
> compiz uses some of metacity's settings, especially the ones for its
> basic appearance.

Ah. Thank you.

Ian
From: Simon Brooke on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 17:26:32 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:

> In <85pqgrFt1iU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Simon Brooke
> <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 May 2010 01:30:53 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>>
>>> I demand that Simon Brooke may or may not have written...

>>> "The window manager". Which one would that be?
>>>
>>> (Probably the one which they use by default with GNOME, but I don't
>>> consider it safe to make that assumption.)
>>
>> I'm assuming the same... Hang on...
>
> [Snip]
>
>> Compiz does appear to be running. So I think one can assume that Compiz
>> is the window manager.
>>
>> The graphics card is a Radeon HD 3850 and the X server is currently the
>> proprietary FGLRX; but changing the X server makes no difference to the
>> window switching problem.
>>
>> Frustratingly, the problem is not manifesting itself this morning -
>> despite the fact that I have installed no software and changed no
>> configuration settings, just logged out and logged in again.
>
> If you have "Desktop effects" enabled Ubuntu uses compiz, disabled it
> uses metacity. If you look in compiz's full settings manager (ccsm)
> you'll see it has a gazillion options, so one of them could be
> accidentally causing the problem, but good luck finding which one!

Thanks. I'll try that. The problem is flakey - sometimes it's there,
sometimes it's not; when it is there, KVMing to a different machine and
back (or <ctrl>-<alt>-<f1>ing to a console and back) sometimes improves
things and sometimes doesn't - so I suspect whatever it is is a bug not a
feature (although of course this doesn't mean that some particular compiz
gizmo isn't causing it). At present, I can't use the mouse to do anything
in this 'Post Article' window (I'll post it with <ctrl>-<return>) or
access the task bar or the panel; but less than five minutes ago I
started Pan from the panel 'Applications' menu.

When the buggy behaviour is active, attempting to use xkill results in
the message 'unable to grab cursor', if that helps anyone.

> As a last resort, instead of reinstalling try creating a new user and
> copy your data and any crucial non-desktop settings into it. If you want
> to keep your old user name use the Live CD to swap the directories over
> and change the UIDs.
>
> If you can't fix compiz and don't like metacity I recommend xfwm4.

I think one of the first things I'll try is disabling 'Desktop effects'
and see if that (i.e., based on what you say above, switch from compiz to
metacity) sorts it.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Simon Brooke on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:13:25 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2010 17:26:32 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
>> In <85pqgrFt1iU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Simon Brooke
>> <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> The graphics card is a Radeon HD 3850 and the X server is currently
>>> the proprietary FGLRX; but changing the X server makes no difference
>>> to the window switching problem.

OK, it turns out that it does seem to be fglrx after all. The problem is
that when I try to remove fglrx, it fails to remove completely:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
required:
lsb-graphics lsb-desktop libswt-gtk-3.5-jni libqt4-gui lsb rhino
libswt-gtk-3.5-java libreadline5 lsb-cxx
The following packages will be REMOVED
fglrx
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 60.0MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

(Reading database ... 262305 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing fglrx ...

dpkg-divert: mismatch on package

when removing `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/
libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by fglrx'

found `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/
libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'

dpkg: error processing fglrx (--remove):

subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

fglrx

So when I thought I was changing the driver it didn't actually work. This
also means that when I try to install new software or updates that also
fails, unless I first reinstall fglrx!

I've (apparently successfully) removed xorg-driver-fglrx, but the fglrx
package itself simply won't die. Can anyone advise me (short of a
mistletoe stake through the heart) I can forcibly sort out that
'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2' problem?

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Simon Brooke on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:59:50 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:

> OK, it turns out that it does seem to be fglrx after all. The problem is
> that when I try to remove fglrx, it fails to remove completely:
>
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
> lsb-graphics lsb-desktop libswt-gtk-3.5-jni libqt4-gui lsb rhino
> libswt-gtk-3.5-java libreadline5 lsb-cxx
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. The following packages will be
> REMOVED
> fglrx
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 1 not
> fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 60.0MB disk space will be freed. Do you want to
> continue [Y/n]? y
> (Reading database ... 262305 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing fglrx ...
> dpkg-divert: mismatch on package
> when removing `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/
> libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by fglrx'
> found `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/
> libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx' dpkg: error processing fglrx
> (--remove):
> subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2
> Processing triggers for ureadahead ... Errors were encountered while
> processing:
> fglrx
>
> So when I thought I was changing the driver it didn't actually work.
> This also means that when I try to install new software or updates that
> also fails, unless I first reinstall fglrx!
>
> I've (apparently successfully) removed xorg-driver-fglrx, but the fglrx
> package itself simply won't die. Can anyone advise me (short of a
> mistletoe stake through the heart) I can forcibly sort out that
> 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2' problem?

And for the record the correct spell with the holy water and mistletoe is
to locate the fglrx.postrm script, locate the line in it which undoes the
diversion, and hack $PACKAGE to 'xorg-driver-fglrx' (or, generically,
whatever other package is hanging onto your divert). Then rerun dpkg --
purge, and that particular problem is resolved. I shall report back after
rebooting on whether the originally presenting problem has gone!

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat