From: Simon Brooke on
I've got a problem with the window manager on Ubuntu, and it's driving me
potty.

Essentially, one window grabs the mouse pointer and won't let go of it.
The window which apparently has the focus has the text insertion cursor,
but mouse events still go - only - to this one window which something in
the system thinks is the correct window. The mouse pointer still moves
correctly, so it does not seem to be anything wrong with hardware.

I didn't have this problem in 9.04. I didn't have it when I first
upgraded to 9.10, and, indeed, I didn't have it at all until about three
weeks ago. At that point it started, and after a bit of pratting around I
thought the simplest solution was to upgrade to 10.04, but that has made
no difference. Mine is a pretty vanilla-flavour Ubuntu install; I have
nothing running which is not part of the standard distribution.

Because the mouse is stuck to a single window, when any application at
all is open I can no longer access either the task bar or the panel, so I
can only launch other applications by using <alt>-F2...

This is beginning to remind me of NextStep. When it works it looks very
pretty, but when it breaks, the configuration is so inscrutable that you
cannot find what you need to fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to
reformat and reinstall from scratch. But it's stupidly frustrating, and
it makes the ambition of making Ubuntu an operating system for the masses
something of a joke. After all, if I with twenty five years of UNIX
experience can't even make it work on my own desktop, what hope has the
chap on the Clapham omnibus?

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Simon Brooke may or may not have written...

> I've got a problem with the window manager on Ubuntu, and it's driving me
> potty.

"The window manager". Which one would that be?

(Probably the one which they use by default with GNOME, but I don't consider
it safe to make that assumption.)

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | back!
| Let's keep the pound sterling

Volcanoes are just the Earth's equivalent of core dumps.
From: Simon Brooke on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 01:30:53 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:

> I demand that Simon Brooke may or may not have written...
>
>> I've got a problem with the window manager on Ubuntu, and it's driving
>> me potty.
>
> "The window manager". Which one would that be?
>
> (Probably the one which they use by default with GNOME, but I don't
> consider it safe to make that assumption.)

I'm assuming the same... Hang on...

simon(a)gododdin:~$ dpkg -l | grep window
ii compiz
1:0.8.4-0ubuntu15 OpenGL window and
compositing manager
ii compiz-core
1:0.8.4-0ubuntu15 OpenGL window and
compositing manager
ii compiz-gnome
1:0.8.4-0ubuntu15 OpenGL window and
compositing manager - GNOM
ii compiz-plugins
1:0.8.4-0ubuntu15 OpenGL window and
compositing manager - plug
ii libdecoration0
1:0.8.4-0ubuntu15 Compiz window decoration
library
ii libgnome-window-settings1
1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1 Utility library for
getting window manager s
ii libmetacity-private0
1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1 library for the Metacity
window manager
ii metacity
1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1 lightweight GTK+ window
manager
ii metacity-common
1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1 shared files for the
Metacity window manager

So both metacity and compiz are installed

simon(a)gododdin:~$ ps auxww | grep metacity
simon 7561 0.0 0.0 3320 804 pts/0 S+ 11:18 0:00 grep --
color=auto metacity

Metacity doesn't appear to be running (unless it runs under a different
name)

simon(a)gododdin:~$ ps auxww | grep compiz
simon 5118 1.4 0.8 31772 22732 ? S 08:07 2:47 /usr/bin/
compiz
simon 5204 0.0 0.0 1828 492 ? Ss 08:07 0:00 /bin/sh -
c /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
simon 7568 0.0 0.0 3324 876 pts/0 S+ 11:19 0:00 grep --
color=auto compiz

Compiz does appear to be running. So I think one can assume that Compiz
is the window manager.

The graphics card is a Radeon HD 3850 and the X server is currently the
proprietary FGLRX; but changing the X server makes no difference to the
window switching problem.

Frustratingly, the problem is not manifesting itself this morning -
despite the fact that I have installed no software and changed no
configuration settings, just logged out and logged in again.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Tony Houghton on
In <85pqgrFt1iU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2010 01:30:53 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>
>> I demand that Simon Brooke may or may not have written...
>>
>>> I've got a problem with the window manager on Ubuntu, and it's driving
>>> me potty.
>>
>> "The window manager". Which one would that be?
>>
>> (Probably the one which they use by default with GNOME, but I don't
>> consider it safe to make that assumption.)
>
> I'm assuming the same... Hang on...

[Snip]

> Compiz does appear to be running. So I think one can assume that Compiz
> is the window manager.
>
> The graphics card is a Radeon HD 3850 and the X server is currently the
> proprietary FGLRX; but changing the X server makes no difference to the
> window switching problem.
>
> Frustratingly, the problem is not manifesting itself this morning -
> despite the fact that I have installed no software and changed no
> configuration settings, just logged out and logged in again.

If you have "Desktop effects" enabled Ubuntu uses compiz, disabled it
uses metacity. If you look in compiz's full settings manager (ccsm)
you'll see it has a gazillion options, so one of them could be
accidentally causing the problem, but good luck finding which one!

As a last resort, instead of reinstalling try creating a new user and
copy your data and any crucial non-desktop settings into it. If you want
to keep your old user name use the Live CD to swap the directories over
and change the UIDs.

If you can't fix compiz and don't like metacity I recommend xfwm4.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Ian on
On 22 May, 18:26, Tony Houghton <h...(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> If you have "Desktop effects" enabled Ubuntu uses compiz, disabled it
> uses metacity.

I have desktop effects running but to move the maximise/minimise/close
buttons I edit the metacity settings. Just saying.

Ian