From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<gherold(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>On Jul 14, 12:49�am, "JosephKK"<quiettechb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:23:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>>

>> <pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>> >You're confused, I'm afraid. �-100 dBc phase noise in a given bandwidth
>> >(say 1 Hz, but it doesn't matter) is 7 microradians RMS. �Using a 5V
>> >swing and a CMOS analogue gate as a phase detector, that's
>>
>> >dV = 7e-6 rad RMS * 5V/(pi rad) = 11 microvolts RMS,
>>
>> >which is trivial to measure in a 1 Hz bandwidth in a few seconds--it's
>> >80 dB above the noise of a good op amp, so you just have to wait for the
>> >filter to settle.
>>
>> >Cheers
>>
>> >Phil Hobbs
>>
>> OK. �I have your "Making it All Work" and AoE 2nd Ed and more. �Where do
>> i go to get less confused? �This phase noise measurement is twisted.- Hide quoted text -

>Hi Joseph, I'm trying to get my head around this too. (I like Phil's
>intro to section 13.6, "We live in a fallen world, so the signals we
>process are never free of noise, distortion, and extraneous
>interfering signals.")*
>
>I think it would help me if I understood how one measures the phase
>noise. My simple minded approach would be to trigger my digital
>'scope on the carrier zero crossing, and then look 'down stream' 100
>or 1,000 periods later and see how much 'jitter' there was in the
>delayed zero crossing. Seems like there must be a better way.

That's pretty much what the Allan Variance does,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_variance

which is to characterize the jitter as a function of the time, or
equivalently the number of skipped edges, between the edges you
measure. Cheap crystal oscillators may have a few ps RMS between
adjacent clock edges (aka cycle-to-cycle jitter) but may have many
nanoseconds of jitter if you measure edges that are a second apart.

You've got to be careful about the scope jitter, too. It may well be
worse then the oscillator you're trying to measure.

The "real" way to measure phase noise in the frequency domain is to
get two of the things you want to test, set them to slightly different
frequencies, and mix their outputs, then analyse the mixer output.
That's about the only way to characterize really quiet sources. Of
course you have to make sure they aren't injection locking or showing
the same line-hum jitter or any other sneaky correlation.

We have a couple of 10 MHz atomic clocks around here, one rubidium and
one cesium. If you trigger a scope from one and look at the rising
edge of the other, you could swear that the scope is triggered
internally. At, say, 5 ns/div, it looks rock steady. Come back a half
hour later and the trace has drifted a little left or right.

That test is the time-domain equivalent of the mixer thing. That's how
we test the timing system stuff we did for NIF: trigger a scope from
one unit, observe the rising edge of another.

John

From: Bob Masta on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<gherold(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>*Does this mean there is no noise in heaven? (all R's have zero
>temperature)

All the Real terms are zero... heaven is purely Imaginary!
<g>

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v5.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator
Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever!
(Some assembly required)
Science (and fun!) with your sound card!
From: George Herold on
On Jul 14, 11:27 pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
>

> <gher...(a)teachspin.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 14, 12:49 am, "JosephKK"<quiettechb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> OK.  I have your "Making it All Work" and AoE 2nd Ed and more.  Where do
> >> i go to get less confused?  This phase noise measurement is twisted.- Hide quoted text -

> >Hi Joseph,  I'm trying to get my head around this too.  (I like Phil's
> >intro to section 13.6, "We live in a fallen world, so the signals we
> >process are never free of noise, distortion, and extraneous
> >interfering signals.")*
>
> >I think it would help me if I understood how one measures the phase
> >noise.  My simple minded approach would be to trigger my digital
> >'scope on the carrier zero crossing, and then look 'down stream' 100
> >or 1,000 periods later and see how much 'jitter' there was in the
> >delayed zero crossing.  Seems like there must be a better way.
>
> That's pretty much what the Allan Variance does,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_variance
>
> which is to characterize the jitter as a function of the time, or
> equivalently the number of skipped edges, between the edges you
> measure. Cheap crystal oscillators may have a few ps RMS between
> adjacent clock edges (aka cycle-to-cycle jitter) but may have many
> nanoseconds of jitter if you measure edges that are a second apart.
>
> You've got to be careful about the scope jitter, too. It may well be
> worse then the oscillator you're trying to measure.
>
> The "real" way to measure phase noise in the frequency domain is to
> get two of the things you want to test, set them to slightly different
> frequencies, and mix their outputs, then analyse the mixer output.
> That's about the only way to characterize really quiet sources. Of
> course you have to make sure they aren't injection locking or showing
> the same line-hum jitter or any other sneaky correlation.

OK that sounds easy enough... you then have to add a third oscillator
and measure each againts the other if you want to really know any
individual bandwidth.

> We have a couple of 10 MHz atomic clocks around here, one rubidium and
> one cesium. If you trigger a scope from one and look at the rising
> edge of the other, you could swear that the scope is triggered
> internally. At, say, 5 ns/div, it looks rock steady. Come back a half
> hour later and the trace has drifted a little left or right.

Fun! I did the same trick when comparing digital function
generators. This cheap protek one had a 'hick up' every second or so
and the transistion would slowly march across the screen.

> That test is the time-domain equivalent of the mixer thing. That's how
> we test the timing system stuff we did for NIF: trigger a scope from
> one unit, observe the rising edge of another.
>
> John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again John and Phil.

George H.

From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:03:01 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<gherold(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>On Jul 14, 11:27�pm, John Larkin
><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
>>

>> <gher...(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>> >Hi Joseph, �I'm trying to get my head around this too. �(I like Phil's
>> >intro to section 13.6, "We live in a fallen world, so the signals we
>> >process are never free of noise, distortion, and extraneous
>> >interfering signals.")*
>>
>> >I think it would help me if I understood how one measures the phase
>> >noise. �My simple minded approach would be to trigger my digital
>> >'scope on the carrier zero crossing, and then look 'down stream' 100
>> >or 1,000 periods later and see how much 'jitter' there was in the
>> >delayed zero crossing. �Seems like there must be a better way.
>>
>> That's pretty much what the Allan Variance does,
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_variance
>>
>> which is to characterize the jitter as a function of the time, or
>> equivalently the number of skipped edges, between the edges you
>> measure. Cheap crystal oscillators may have a few ps RMS between
>> adjacent clock edges (aka cycle-to-cycle jitter) but may have many
>> nanoseconds of jitter if you measure edges that are a second apart.
>>
>> You've got to be careful about the scope jitter, too. It may well be
>> worse then the oscillator you're trying to measure.
>>
>> The "real" way to measure phase noise in the frequency domain is to
>> get two of the things you want to test, set them to slightly different
>> frequencies, and mix their outputs, then analyse the mixer output.
>> That's about the only way to characterize really quiet sources. Of
>> course you have to make sure they aren't injection locking or showing
>> the same line-hum jitter or any other sneaky correlation.
>
>OK that sounds easy enough... you then have to add a third oscillator
>and measure each againts the other if you want to really know any
>individual bandwidth.

Usually just dumping the mixer output into a spectrum analyzer is good
enough. One assumes the units are identical. You can use three or more
DUTs, in pairs, to demonstrate that.

>> We have a couple of 10 MHz atomic clocks around here, one rubidium and
>> one cesium. If you trigger a scope from one and look at the rising
>> edge of the other, you could swear that the scope is triggered
>> internally. At, say, 5 ns/div, it looks rock steady. Come back a half
>> hour later and the trace has drifted a little left or right.
>
>Fun! I did the same trick when comparing digital function
>generators. This cheap protek one had a 'hick up' every second or so
>and the transistion would slowly march across the screen.

One of my Tek scopes has a few ps of time shift that correlates to a
blinking led on the sampling head.

John