From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:27:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>> For instance, if you have a 1 MHz resonator with a Q of a million, it
>> takes a second or so to get its phase to change when you put PM on the
>> drive waveform. OTOH, if you change the resonant frequency suddenly,
>> e.g. by putting 100V on a Y5V tank capacitor, the resonant frequency
>> changes immediately--much faster than 1/Q cycles.
>
>Much faster than Q cycles, I mean. (Posted before breakfast in
>Albuquerque.)
>>

>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Check out La Posada de Albuquerque. Cool old hotel. Or it was, except
they may have "upgraded" it.

John

From: Phil Hobbs on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Hey Phil! How come no comment on conservation of charge and energy?
>>> You have a dog in this show ?:-) Weenie!
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>> I'm mainly here to talk about electronics. One-upmanship also tends to
>> intimidate the newbies, which I really don't want to do. I try not to
>> dispense Bad Info myself, and try to help other people's
>> misunderstandings when I can. Otherwise I just read with interest and
>> learn stuff.
>
> There's no one-up-man-ship involved. Larkin won't (or can't, because
> he doesn't really understand it) show where the extra charge came
> from. You (or Win) could put a stop to Larkin's nonsense. Larkin
> displays me as a fool, and the newbies don't know any better, so
> they'll never ever learn the correct solution unless someone
> (politically :) respected steps in.

I don't know about that. It isn't that difficult to calculate a circuit
with two caps, an inductor, and an elf who opens and closes a switch at
the right moments. It does help to know elementary differential equations.

I haven't actually followed the original discussion closely enough to
know who made the first technical error. The larger error IMO is to
keep getting into these tiresome p***ing contests, which I decline to
do. If what you want is merely to have the correct solution posted,
post it and let's move on to some electronics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Phil Hobbs on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Hey Phil! How come no comment on conservation of charge and energy?
>>> You have a dog in this show ?:-) Weenie!
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>> I'm mainly here to talk about electronics. One-upmanship also tends to
>> intimidate the newbies, which I really don't want to do. I try not to
>> dispense Bad Info myself, and try to help other people's
>> misunderstandings when I can. Otherwise I just read with interest and
>> learn stuff.
>>
>> Whit3rd seems to be talking about the phase correlations rather than the
>> instantaneous phase noise. Both multivibrators and LC resonators obey
>> equations with full locality, i.e. neither one has any memory at all.
>>
>> For instance, if you have a 1 MHz resonator with a Q of a million, it
>> takes a second or so to get its phase to change when you put PM on the
>> drive waveform. OTOH, if you change the resonant frequency suddenly,
>> e.g. by putting 100V on a Y5V tank capacitor, the resonant frequency
>> changes immediately--much faster than 1/Q cycles.
>>
>> Because of the switching action, multivibrators intermodulate the
>> switching element's noise at all frequencies, which makes their jitter
>> much worse; also the effective Q of a multivibrator is less than 1,
>> which means that there isn't any significant filtering action from the
>> resonator. (That's frequency-domain way of thinking about what Whit3rd
>> is talking about in the time domain--the conservation of energy issue is
>> easier to think about if there's a natural bandwidth limit to the
>> sqrt(t) behaviour.) The physical origin of the phase modulation doesn't
>> change the way it varies with division ratio, though.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> One interesting and often overlooked part is the coaxial ceramic
> resonator. It's essentially a shorted transmission line formed in a
> block or tube of hi-K ceramic, usually by silver or copper plating it.
> They are usually treated by the RF boys as resonators or inductors,
> but they really act like time-domain transmission lines. TCs are in
> the single-digit PPMs and Qs in the hundreds or thousands. Dielectric
> constants are in the hundreds or thousands, so they are very short for
> their delay/frequency.
>
> Remarkable parts. I use them to make instant-start/instant-stop
> oscillators in the 600 MHz range. As a VCO, they will have very low
> phase noise, somewhere between an LC and a quartz crystal.
>
> John

I confess I'm one of the ones who overlooked them...where do you get
them, and do they come in Y5V?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:43:29 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> I'm mainly here to talk about electronics. One-upmanship also tends to
>>> intimidate the newbies, which I really don't want to do. I try not to
>>> dispense Bad Info myself, and try to help other people's
>>> misunderstandings when I can. Otherwise I just read with interest and
>>> learn stuff.
>>
>> There's no one-up-man-ship involved. Larkin won't (or can't, because
>> he doesn't really understand it) show where the extra charge came
>> from. You (or Win) could put a stop to Larkin's nonsense. Larkin
>> displays me as a fool, and the newbies don't know any better, so
>> they'll never ever learn the correct solution unless someone
>> (politically :) respected steps in.
>
>I don't know about that. It isn't that difficult to calculate a circuit
>with two caps, an inductor, and an elf who opens and closes a switch at
>the right moments. It does help to know elementary differential equations.
>
>I haven't actually followed the original discussion closely enough to
>know who made the first technical error. The larger error IMO is to
>keep getting into these tiresome p***ing contests, which I decline to
>do. If what you want is merely to have the correct solution posted,
>post it and let's move on to some electronics.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

I don't think any specific problem has been clearly stated, such that
it can be analyzed. My comment, that seems to have ruffled feathers,
is that one shouldn't assume as a working tool that charge, coulombs
stored in various capacitors in a circuit, is conserved. Sometimes it
is, sometimes it isn't, sometimes the concept is silly.

The argument did make me go back and review some basics, which is
good. Messing with all this digital and software and opamp stuff can
make the old EE101 math get rusty.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:50:36 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> I'm mainly here to talk about electronics. One-upmanship also tends to
>>> intimidate the newbies, which I really don't want to do. I try not to
>>> dispense Bad Info myself, and try to help other people's
>>> misunderstandings when I can. Otherwise I just read with interest and
>>> learn stuff.
>>>
>>> Whit3rd seems to be talking about the phase correlations rather than the
>>> instantaneous phase noise. Both multivibrators and LC resonators obey
>>> equations with full locality, i.e. neither one has any memory at all.
>>>
>>> For instance, if you have a 1 MHz resonator with a Q of a million, it
>>> takes a second or so to get its phase to change when you put PM on the
>>> drive waveform. OTOH, if you change the resonant frequency suddenly,
>>> e.g. by putting 100V on a Y5V tank capacitor, the resonant frequency
>>> changes immediately--much faster than 1/Q cycles.
>>>
>>> Because of the switching action, multivibrators intermodulate the
>>> switching element's noise at all frequencies, which makes their jitter
>>> much worse; also the effective Q of a multivibrator is less than 1,
>>> which means that there isn't any significant filtering action from the
>>> resonator. (That's frequency-domain way of thinking about what Whit3rd
>>> is talking about in the time domain--the conservation of energy issue is
>>> easier to think about if there's a natural bandwidth limit to the
>>> sqrt(t) behaviour.) The physical origin of the phase modulation doesn't
>>> change the way it varies with division ratio, though.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> One interesting and often overlooked part is the coaxial ceramic
>> resonator. It's essentially a shorted transmission line formed in a
>> block or tube of hi-K ceramic, usually by silver or copper plating it.
>> They are usually treated by the RF boys as resonators or inductors,
>> but they really act like time-domain transmission lines. TCs are in
>> the single-digit PPMs and Qs in the hundreds or thousands. Dielectric
>> constants are in the hundreds or thousands, so they are very short for
>> their delay/frequency.
>>
>> Remarkable parts. I use them to make instant-start/instant-stop
>> oscillators in the 600 MHz range. As a VCO, they will have very low
>> phase noise, somewhere between an LC and a quartz crystal.
>>
>> John
>>

>I confess I'm one of the ones who overlooked them...where do you get
>them, and do they come in Y5V?

Don't know. We buy ours from Skyworks/Trans-tech, and they have Er
values from 10 to 90. TCs are very good somehow. Lots of people make
these things and the little, high-frequency ones are cheap in
quantity.

John