From: Paul Keinanen on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:52:43 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com>
wrote:

>On 07/06/2010 09:10 AM, Daku wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 8:59 pm, Tim Wescott<t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
>>> I'd hardly call 60Hz "ultra low frequency". But it is pretty darned low.
>>>
>>> All the suggestions you've gotten so far are good as far as they go and
>>> may well be perfect -- but what are you trying to do? Do you need sine
>>> wave out or square? If sine wave, how pure? Do you have any
>>> specifications on jitter, phase noise, or frequency accuracy?
>> I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
>> grid.
>> I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
>> aiming for
>> a phase noise of approximately -100 dBc/Hz but not very sure of the
>> offset
>> frequency. Ideally, I would like to have frequency accuracy of 1 - 5%
>> at most.
>> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
>> low
>> frequencies.

If you want to track the _actual_ mains frequency, just use a mains
driven synchronous motor. To get the noise sidebands down, use some
flywheels :-).

>I think that those specs would be difficult to achieve with an
>all-analog oscillator running at 60Hz. Not impossible -- I could do it,
>and Joerg could do it in a fraction of the time I'd take. Using some
>sort of direct digital synthesis -- even if it's just a microprocessor
>-- running off of a crystal reference would be almost trivial in
>comparison and would probably take less board space and would be far
>more repeatable in manufacturing.
>
>If you just had to do this purely in the analog domain your best bet
>might be a pair of crystal oscillators, frequency steered with
>varactors, carefully built, and with their outputs mixed down to 60Hz.
>But that's a solution I would expect to see in a bit of kit from the
>50's through the 80's -- anything later and I'd expect to see a DDS.

Just a few minutes ago, the Nordel AC network (Danish isles, Finland,
Norway, Sweden) was running at 50.11 Hz or +2200 ppm above nominal in
order to allow the mains synchronized clocks to catch up.

A simple fundamental frequency VXCO can be pulled about +/-100 ppm
with the load capacitance. About 1000 ppm is the maximum with
adjustable serial inductance and adjustable parallel load capacitance
at the crystal.

At 50/60 Hz, even a trivial processor can generate a variable
frequency sine wave using the NCO (Numerically Controlled Oscillator)
principle to generate a sine wave, which can be locked to the incoming
signal in some loop configuration.

Even a trivial processor might be able to generate both sine and
cosine waveforms for 49.98, 50.00. 50.92 Hz etc. in parallel and
performing a phase comparison between all these in parallel to
determine the best match.

From: Grant on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:56:19 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <paul(a)hovnanian.com> wrote:

>Daku wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
>> low frequencies.
>
>Why not? Actual L/C component values might be a bit larger than most people
>here deal with, but the math is still the same.

Gyrator for the L?

Grant.
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/06/2010 03:49 PM, Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:56:19 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."<paul(a)hovnanian.com> wrote:
>
>> Daku wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
>>> low frequencies.
>>
>> Why not? Actual L/C component values might be a bit larger than most people
>> here deal with, but the math is still the same.
>
> Gyrator for the L?

Way noisy. You may as well use a Wien bridge oscillator.

Basically the phase noise of an LC oscillator is closely related to the
noise of the amplifier divided by the loaded Q of the tank circuit. In
the case of an RC oscillator (i.e. anything that doesn't use a real
resonant component) the 'loaded Q' is less than unity, which makes
achieving that -100dBc phase noise spec difficult.

(Why so low, by the way?).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: whit3rd on
On Jul 6, 9:52 am, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

> > I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
> > grid.
> > I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
> > aiming for
> > a phase noise of approximately  -100 dBc/Hz

> I think that those specs would be difficult to achieve with an
> all-analog oscillator running at 60Hz.  Not impossible -- I could do it,

An LC type oscillator is good for phase stability (multivibrator
types are less good), but C values of voltage-variable capacitors
are inconvenient for this range. So, you're stuck with an
increductor. This is an inductor with a semi-saturating core, using
a high impedance winding with DC current in it to move
the inductance.

It's an old technique (usually nowadays this kind of thing
is only used for flux-gate magnetometers) but a goodie.

Switched-capacitor filters with a 100x clock are another
approach. I think the MF10 app note has an example (figure 7).

<http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-307.pdf>

The fast clock can be a relatively unstable CD4046
type of VCO, it'll all average out. Hopefully.
From: JosephKK on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:10:25 -0700 (PDT), Daku <dakupoto(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 5, 8:59 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
>> I'd hardly call 60Hz "ultra low frequency". But it is pretty darned low.
>>
>> All the suggestions you've gotten so far are good as far as they go and
>> may well be perfect -- but what are you trying to do? Do you need sine
>> wave out or square? If sine wave, how pure? Do you have any
>> specifications on jitter, phase noise, or frequency accuracy?
>I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
>grid.
>I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
>aiming for
>a phase noise of approximately -100 dBc/Hz but not very sure of the
>offset

Yikes, it would take years (decades) to measure that. Your reference
standard to measure against would be problematic as well. One cycle
(about 16.667 ms) * 10^10 is over 46,000 hours, 275 weeks, 5.2 years.

How about reframing it as a jitter and wander specification?

>frequency. Ideally, I would like to have frequency accuracy of 1 - 5%
>at most.

You would blow the phase noise spec by being off by fractional
millihertz.