From: Daku on
On Jul 5, 8:59 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> I'd hardly call 60Hz "ultra low frequency". But it is pretty darned low.
>
> All the suggestions you've gotten so far are good as far as they go and
> may well be perfect -- but what are you trying to do? Do you need sine
> wave out or square? If sine wave, how pure? Do you have any
> specifications on jitter, phase noise, or frequency accuracy?
I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
grid.
I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
aiming for
a phase noise of approximately -100 dBc/Hz but not very sure of the
offset
frequency. Ideally, I would like to have frequency accuracy of 1 - 5%
at most.
Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
low
frequencies.

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/06/2010 09:10 AM, Daku wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:59 pm, Tim Wescott<t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
>> I'd hardly call 60Hz "ultra low frequency". But it is pretty darned low.
>>
>> All the suggestions you've gotten so far are good as far as they go and
>> may well be perfect -- but what are you trying to do? Do you need sine
>> wave out or square? If sine wave, how pure? Do you have any
>> specifications on jitter, phase noise, or frequency accuracy?
> I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
> grid.
> I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
> aiming for
> a phase noise of approximately -100 dBc/Hz but not very sure of the
> offset
> frequency. Ideally, I would like to have frequency accuracy of 1 - 5%
> at most.
> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
> low
> frequencies.

I think that those specs would be difficult to achieve with an
all-analog oscillator running at 60Hz. Not impossible -- I could do it,
and Joerg could do it in a fraction of the time I'd take. Using some
sort of direct digital synthesis -- even if it's just a microprocessor
-- running off of a crystal reference would be almost trivial in
comparison and would probably take less board space and would be far
more repeatable in manufacturing.

If you just had to do this purely in the analog domain your best bet
might be a pair of crystal oscillators, frequency steered with
varactors, carefully built, and with their outputs mixed down to 60Hz.
But that's a solution I would expect to see in a bit of kit from the
50's through the 80's -- anything later and I'd expect to see a DDS.

I think in another response I mentioned a TMS430 -- use one of those (or
a PIC on an AVR or a Stellaris, etc.) with the right ADC, and you can
build the whole PLL application into the software, and probably whatever
measuring you're planning on doing as well.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: George Herold on
On Jul 6, 12:10 pm, Daku <dakup...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:59 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:> I'd hardly call 60Hz "ultra low frequency".  But it is pretty darned low.
>
> > All the suggestions you've gotten so far are good as far as they go and
> > may well be perfect -- but what are you trying to do?  Do you need sine
> > wave out or square?  If sine wave, how pure?  Do you have any
> > specifications on jitter, phase noise, or frequency accuracy?
>
> I am trying to design a PLL for very low frequencies, e.g., power line
> grid.
> I am concerned with the VCO as it is a crucial sub-circuit. I am
> aiming for
> a phase noise of approximately  -100 dBc/Hz but not very sure of the
> offset
> frequency. Ideally, I would like to have frequency accuracy of 1 - 5%
> at most.
> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
> low
> frequencies.

Have you thought about a current charging and discharging a cap? This
gives a nice triangle wave with the frequency proportional to the
current. Just make sure the voltage that defines the 'trip' points is
clean. (A mistake I made.) Or do you need a sine wave?

George H.

From: Paul Hovnanian P.E. on
Daku wrote:

[snip]
> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
> low frequencies.

Why not? Actual L/C component values might be a bit larger than most people
here deal with, but the math is still the same.

--
Paul Hovnanian paul(a)hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/06/2010 11:56 AM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> Daku wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Also, I am aware that S-parameter methods are not appropriate at these
>> low frequencies.
>
> Why not? Actual L/C component values might be a bit larger than most people
> here deal with, but the math is still the same.

It's not so much that S-parameter methods won't work, though (they will,
just fine). It's just that S-parameter methods are designed to really
be useful where lumped-circuit approximations don't hold. At 1GHz, that
happens if the circuit spans a good portion of your hand -- but at 60Hz,
that doesn't happen until the circuit spans a good portion of the continent.

Unless you've totally forgotten how, use lumped-circuit analysis and
it'll work just fine.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services