From: JosephKK on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:37:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz. I bet you could do
>> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
>> dividing down. You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
>> by N**2, so you'd get 100 dB improvement just from that. Alternatively,
>> you could make an LC VCO and divide that down.
>
>120 dB. Can't count today.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Sure, you can mathematically "predict" it, but how do you measure it?
Or do you switch to another metric which can be both predicted and
measured?
From: Phil Hobbs on
On 7/9/2010 8:59 AM, JosephKK wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:37:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz. I bet you could do
>>> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
>>> dividing down. You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
>>> by N**2, so you'd get 100 dB improvement just from that. Alternatively,
>>> you could make an LC VCO and divide that down.
>>
>> 120 dB. Can't count today.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Sure, you can mathematically "predict" it, but how do you measure it?
> Or do you switch to another metric which can be both predicted and
> measured?

Let's keep the math bashing to the other thread, okay?

Although it isn't highly relevant to the OP's problem, it wouldn't be
very difficult to measure the residual FM--use MOSFET buffers to drive
two divider strings running from independent power supplies, and
cross-correlate their outputs, exchanging them periodically to get rid
of the drift in the correlator. For the correlator design, see Hanbury
Brown and Twiss, circa 1963--and they did it with discrete bipolars.

There are hard measurements, but this isn't one of them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: whit3rd on
On Jul 8, 12:29 pm, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz.  I bet you could do
> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
> dividing down.  You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
> by N**2

Eh? I'd think it's N**0.5 (the multivibrator has cumulative but
random errors).
From: j on
Resolution of noise vs frequency, (as in bw), is the issue in phase
noise measurements. The OP never stated the offset from the carrier
nor bandwidth. Or maybe I just missed it.

It’s not clear to me why JosephKK thinks this would be either a time
consuming or difficult measurement to make. Assuming the appropriate
measurement system is in hand 100 dBc numbers are easily achievable.
Whether it’s 60 Hz or several GHz’s the global issues are the same in
making a phase noise measurement.

But having said the above, without the OP responding I guess it really
doesn’t matter. But I’d like to know more about the application and
derive solutions from there.
From: Phil Hobbs on
whit3rd wrote:
> On Jul 8, 12:29 pm, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz. I bet you could do
>> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
>> dividing down. You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
>> by N**2
>
> Eh? I'd think it's N**0.5 (the multivibrator has cumulative but
> random errors).

The time jitter of the edges stays the same, but the resulting phase
error goes down by a factor of N due to the division. Phase is like
amplitude, so you have to square it to get the noise power--hence N**2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs