From: JosephKK on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:56:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 7/9/2010 8:59 AM, JosephKK wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:37:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> 120 dB. Can't count today.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> Sure, you can mathematically "predict" it, but how do you measure it?
>> Or do you switch to another metric which can be both predicted and
>> measured?
>
>Let's keep the math bashing to the other thread, okay?
>
>Although it isn't highly relevant to the OP's problem, it wouldn't be
>very difficult to measure the residual FM--use MOSFET buffers to drive
>two divider strings running from independent power supplies, and
>cross-correlate their outputs, exchanging them periodically to get rid
>of the drift in the correlator. For the correlator design, see Hanbury
>Brown and Twiss, circa 1963--and they did it with discrete bipolars.
>
>There are hard measurements, but this isn't one of them.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

My issue was not so much the direct difficulty of the measurement, there
are several fairly straight forward setups. But with the _time_ it would
take to make the measurement using many of those setups. The elapsed
time seriously aggravates other measurement issues, notably including
calibration.
From: JosephKK on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:22:34 -0700 (PDT), j <jdc1789(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Resolution of noise vs frequency, (as in bw), is the issue in phase
>noise measurements. The OP never stated the offset from the carrier
>nor bandwidth. Or maybe I just missed it.
>
>It’s not clear to me why JosephKK thinks this would be either a time
>consuming or difficult measurement to make. Assuming the appropriate
>measurement system is in hand 100 dBc numbers are easily achievable.
>Whether it’s 60 Hz or several GHz’s the global issues are the same in
>making a phase noise measurement.
>
>But having said the above, without the OP responding I guess it really
>doesn’t matter. But I’d like to know more about the application and
>derive solutions from there.

OK. For a carrier of 60 MHz. Pick an instrument or test setup of your
choice, state the model[s]. Clearly explain just what is going on in the
measurement and the time it takes to accumulate sufficient data to make
the measurement. Explain why it takes that much time to reach a reliable
measurement of -100 dBc phase noise at that carrier frequency.

Now see how well it scales to one million times lower fundamental
frequency without a similar scaling in measurement time.
From: whit3rd on
On Jul 9, 11:08 am, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:
> > On Jul 8, 12:29 pm, Phil Hobbs
> > <pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
> >> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz.  I bet you could do
> >> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
> >> dividing down.  You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
> >> by N**2
>
> > Eh?  I'd think it's N**0.5 (the multivibrator has cumulative but
> > random errors).
>
> The time jitter of the edges stays the same, but the resulting phase
> error goes down by a factor of N due to the division.  Phase is like
> amplitude, so you have to square it to get the noise power--hence N**2.

With an LC oscillator (class C transistor drive) the jitter in one
edge
(as determined by the transistor conduction) would be random, and
only a small fraction of the circulating energy would respond to the
edge error. So, the jitter in the LC output is a sequence of
random errors.

For a multivibrator, however, the internal state resets each cycle;
the jittery time of cycle N becomes the new zero, and the jitter in
cycle N+1 is the sum of those two values. This kind of timing
error is the accumulating kind. The jitter is an arithmetic (sum)
sequence of randoms.

So, for an LC oscillator you can get the N**2 behavior after
squaring; for a multivibrator oscillator only expect N**1.
I think this is why serious timing eschews the multivibrator.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:08:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>whit3rd wrote:
>> On Jul 8, 12:29 pm, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz. I bet you could do
>>> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
>>> dividing down. You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
>>> by N**2
>>
>> Eh? I'd think it's N**0.5 (the multivibrator has cumulative but
>> random errors).
>
>The time jitter of the edges stays the same, but the resulting phase
>error goes down by a factor of N due to the division. Phase is like
>amplitude, so you have to square it to get the noise power--hence N**2.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Hey Phil! How come no comment on conservation of charge and energy?
You have a dog in this show ?:-) Weenie!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
From: Phil Hobbs on
JosephKK wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:22:34 -0700 (PDT), j <jdc1789(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Resolution of noise vs frequency, (as in bw), is the issue in phase
>> noise measurements. The OP never stated the offset from the carrier
>> nor bandwidth. Or maybe I just missed it.
>>
>> It's not clear to me why JosephKK thinks this would be either a time
>> consuming or difficult measurement to make. Assuming the appropriate
>> measurement system is in hand 100 dBc numbers are easily achievable.
>> Whether it's 60 Hz or several GHz's the global issues are the same in
>> making a phase noise measurement.
>>
>> But having said the above, without the OP responding I guess it really
>> doesn't matter. But I'd like to know more about the application and
>> derive solutions from there.
>

> OK. For a carrier of 60 MHz. Pick an instrument or test setup of your
> choice, state the model[s]. Clearly explain just what is going on in the
> measurement and the time it takes to accumulate sufficient data to make
> the measurement. Explain why it takes that much time to reach a reliable
> measurement of -100 dBc phase noise at that carrier frequency.
>
> Now see how well it scales to one million times lower fundamental
> frequency without a similar scaling in measurement time.

It's the modulation frequency that's relevant, not the carrier
frequency. Measurements get slower when you reduce the bandwidth.

(You can see why this doesn't work if you imagine running it
backwards--mixing or multiplying up to some very high frequency doesn't
allow you to make a measurement with 1 Hz bandwidth any faster.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs