From: George Herold on
On Jul 12, 11:09 am, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
> j wrote:
> > The point is that a lot of this jiber-jaber is pointless.  Without the
> > OP giving a better definition of the problem it’s a guess at best
> > which measurement technique is required.
>
> > He never did state the basis for his phase noise number, nor did he
> > have an offset frequency.
>
> > The challenge in making –100 dBc or better measurements is a function
> > of the offset frequency and bandwidth.  Center frequency isn’t the
> > issue here.
>
> You may not be interested, but perhaps other folks are.  And how big an
> offset frequency can he have on a 60 Hz carrier, anyway?
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal
> ElectroOptical Innovations
> 55 Orchard Rd
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
> 845-480-2058
> hobbs at electrooptical dot nethttp://electrooptical.net

Yes! I've enjoyed the discussion. Say could someone explain the the
100 dBc of phase noise spec. I've been thinking of this a one part in
10^5 of jitter in the period. So for instance a 1 Hz signal the
jitter is less than 10 micro seconds aand for a 1 MHz signal a jitter
of 10 pico seconds.

Is that right?

George H.
From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:15:37 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<gherold(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>On Jul 12, 11:09�am, Phil Hobbs
><pcdhSpamMeSensel...(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>> j wrote:
>> > The point is that a lot of this jiber-jaber is pointless. �Without the
>> > OP giving a better definition of the problem it�s a guess at best
>> > which measurement technique is required.
>>
>> > He never did state the basis for his phase noise number, nor did he
>> > have an offset frequency.
>>
>> > The challenge in making �100 dBc or better measurements is a function
>> > of the offset frequency and bandwidth. �Center frequency isn�t the
>> > issue here.
>>
>> You may not be interested, but perhaps other folks are. �And how big an
>> offset frequency can he have on a 60 Hz carrier, anyway?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> --
>> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
>> Principal
>> ElectroOptical Innovations
>> 55 Orchard Rd
>> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>> 845-480-2058
>> hobbs at electrooptical dot nethttp://electrooptical.net
>
>Yes! I've enjoyed the discussion. Say could someone explain the the
>100 dBc of phase noise spec. I've been thinking of this a one part in
>10^5 of jitter in the period. So for instance a 1 Hz signal the
>jitter is less than 10 micro seconds aand for a 1 MHz signal a jitter
>of 10 pico seconds.
>
>Is that right?
>
>George H.

The usual oscillator phase noise spec would be " -100 dBc/Hz " at some
offset frequency from the carrier. It's often given as a curve. It is
possible to convert the curve to an RMS jitter spec... I have a
program around somewhere that some s.e.d. guy posted.

John

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:52:41 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:43:29 -0400, Phil Hobbs
><pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>>Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> There's no one-up-man-ship involved. Larkin won't (or can't, because
>>> he doesn't really understand it) show where the extra charge came
>>> from. You (or Win) could put a stop to Larkin's nonsense. Larkin
>>> displays me as a fool, and the newbies don't know any better, so
>>> they'll never ever learn the correct solution unless someone
>>> (politically :) respected steps in.
>>
>>I don't know about that. It isn't that difficult to calculate a circuit
>>with two caps, an inductor, and an elf who opens and closes a switch at
>>the right moments. It does help to know elementary differential equations.
>>
>>I haven't actually followed the original discussion closely enough to
>>know who made the first technical error. The larger error IMO is to
>>keep getting into these tiresome p***ing contests, which I decline to
>>do. If what you want is merely to have the correct solution posted,
>>post it and let's move on to some electronics.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Phil Hobbs
>
>I don't think any specific problem has been clearly stated, such that
>it can be analyzed. My comment, that seems to have ruffled feathers,
>is that one shouldn't assume as a working tool that charge, coulombs
>stored in various capacitors in a circuit, is conserved. Sometimes it
>is, sometimes it isn't, sometimes the concept is silly.
>
>The argument did make me go back and review some basics, which is
>good. Messing with all this digital and software and opamp stuff can
>make the old EE101 math get rusty.
>
>John

Dodge, dodge, dodge. You specifically stated, in...

"... charge is not conserved."

Where, oh great pretend guru, where does the excess charge come from?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/08/2010 12:29 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Paul Keinanen wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:52:43 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com>
>> wrote:

>> If you want to track the _actual_ mains frequency, just use a mains
>> driven synchronous motor. To get the noise sidebands down, use some
>> flywheels :-).
>>
>>> I think that those specs would be difficult to achieve with an
>>> all-analog oscillator running at 60Hz. Not impossible -- I could do
>>> it, and Joerg could do it in a fraction of the time I'd take. Using
>>> some sort of direct digital synthesis -- even if it's just a
>>> microprocessor -- running off of a crystal reference would be almost
>>> trivial in comparison and would probably take less board space and
>>> would be far more repeatable in manufacturing.
>>>
>>> If you just had to do this purely in the analog domain your best bet
>>> might be a pair of crystal oscillators, frequency steered with
>>> varactors, carefully built, and with their outputs mixed down to
>>> 60Hz. But that's a solution I would expect to see in a bit of kit
>>> from the 50's through the 80's -- anything later and I'd expect to
>>> see a DDS.
>>
>> Just a few minutes ago, the Nordel AC network (Danish isles, Finland,
>> Norway, Sweden) was running at 50.11 Hz or +2200 ppm above nominal in
>> order to allow the mains synchronized clocks to catch up.
>> A simple fundamental frequency VXCO can be pulled about +/-100 ppm
>> with the load capacitance. About 1000 ppm is the maximum with
>> adjustable serial inductance and adjustable parallel load capacitance
>> at the crystal.
>>
>> At 50/60 Hz, even a trivial processor can generate a variable
>> frequency sine wave using the NCO (Numerically Controlled Oscillator)
>> principle to generate a sine wave, which can be locked to the incoming
>> signal in some loop configuration.
>>
>> Even a trivial processor might be able to generate both sine and
>> cosine waveforms for 49.98, 50.00. 50.92 Hz etc. in parallel and
>> performing a phase comparison between all these in parallel to
>> determine the best match.
>>

> I don't know that -100 dBc/Hz is that hard at 60 Hz. I bet you could do
> that by running a bog standard multivibrator at 1024*1024*60 Hz and
> dividing down. You'd need a sine shaper, but the phase noise goes down
> by N**2, so you'd get 100 dB improvement just from that. Alternatively,
> you could make an LC VCO and divide that down.

This actually kind of makes my point, which I didn't state clearly: if
you _don't_ use a divider it'll be hard. With a divider it gets easy,
as long as you ignore clock jitter in the divider (and clock jitter
probably isn't a big deal, given the output frequency).

> You might even be able to do it with all analog--the OPA378 has 20
> nV/sqrt(Hz) all the way down to DC. With a 5V sine wave at 60 Hz, that's
> something like 1800 V/s, so 20 nV gives you something like 10
> picoseconds per root hertz. You probably lose a factor of sqrt(2) in
> there, but that ought to be good enough. Your ALC network would
> contribute more than that, almost for sure.

Depending on how close to the carrier you want to get, you lose a factor
of up to infinity (if you get _really_ close to the carrier).

The noise gain is something like 1/(s^2 + w0^2) -- it's an oscillator.
Worse, because it's an RC, the constant you're multiplying by is greater
than one -- I get Hn(s) ~ 15/(s^2 + w0^2). That's not taking the
current noise of the part into account (which, I admit, I haven't
checked on because I'm lazy).

1Hz away your noise gain is just about 200, for 4uV/sqrt(Hz). That's
doing OK, but at 0.1Hz away the noise gain is about 2000 -- all you have
to do is measure close enough to the carrier at a wide enough bandwidth
and your noise is too high (sure would be nice if the OP specified what
he wanted, but I think we lost him).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:33:56 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
><pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>>Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Hey Phil! How come no comment on conservation of charge and energy?
>>> You have a dog in this show ?:-) Weenie!
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>
>>I'm mainly here to talk about electronics. One-upmanship also tends to
>>intimidate the newbies, which I really don't want to do. I try not to
>>dispense Bad Info myself, and try to help other people's
>>misunderstandings when I can. Otherwise I just read with interest and
>>learn stuff.
>>
>>Whit3rd seems to be talking about the phase correlations rather than the
>>instantaneous phase noise. Both multivibrators and LC resonators obey
>>equations with full locality, i.e. neither one has any memory at all.
>>
>>For instance, if you have a 1 MHz resonator with a Q of a million, it
>>takes a second or so to get its phase to change when you put PM on the
>>drive waveform. OTOH, if you change the resonant frequency suddenly,
>>e.g. by putting 100V on a Y5V tank capacitor, the resonant frequency
>>changes immediately--much faster than 1/Q cycles.
>>
>>Because of the switching action, multivibrators intermodulate the
>>switching element's noise at all frequencies, which makes their jitter
>>much worse; also the effective Q of a multivibrator is less than 1,
>>which means that there isn't any significant filtering action from the
>>resonator. (That's frequency-domain way of thinking about what Whit3rd
>>is talking about in the time domain--the conservation of energy issue is
>>easier to think about if there's a natural bandwidth limit to the
>>sqrt(t) behaviour.) The physical origin of the phase modulation doesn't
>>change the way it varies with division ratio, though.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Phil Hobbs
>
>One interesting and often overlooked part is the coaxial ceramic
>resonator. It's essentially a shorted transmission line formed in a
>block or tube of hi-K ceramic, usually by silver or copper plating it.
>They are usually treated by the RF boys as resonators or inductors,
>but they really act like time-domain transmission lines. TCs are in
>the single-digit PPMs and Qs in the hundreds or thousands. Dielectric
>constants are in the hundreds or thousands, so they are very short for
>their delay/frequency.
>
>Remarkable parts. I use them to make instant-start/instant-stop
>oscillators in the 600 MHz range. As a VCO, they will have very low
>phase noise, somewhere between an LC and a quartz crystal.
>
>John

I've been "using" them... designing them into GPS LO's since before
you were born ;-)

...Jim Thompson