From: Rich B on
I don't know that much about IIS so if I don't explain this very well I am
sorry. We are running Windows 2003 SP 2 with IIS 6. I was having some
problems with an application on our web server so I found some articles about
running in IIS 5 isolation mode. I made the switch but this did not help with
the problem. That problem was resolved and was found to be a third party
firewall. So, I decided to set IIS back to use application pools. I thought
everything was ok but when anyone tried to access the web site they get
"Services Unavailable". So I thought it would be better to switch back. Now I
cannot start the web site. If I click to expand the folders I get the error
"The connection to the server has been lost. Do you want to reconnect". If I
select yes I can see all the folders. If I try to start the site I get
"unable to connect to the server".

Thank you.
--
Rich B
From: Ken Schaefer on
503 Service Unavailable means that http.sys is unable to route the requests
through to IIS.

Check that the WWW Publishing Service is started in the Services MMC. If
it's started, and you are still getting this error, then check the Windows
Event Log to find out why IIS is nto available.

Cheers
Ken

http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken