From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Unfortunately most Hardware vendors tend to put trial version of security
software without any real explanation to its value (usually None) and how to
configure the new system.
Using more than one Firewall, or any other protection software, is a Gate to
Trouble Land, and probably also the reason for the multiple naming.
If you insist on using the 3rd party software disable all of its
counterparts.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: W. eWatson on
Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> Unfortunately most Hardware vendors tend to put trial version of
> security software without any real explanation to its value (usually
> None) and how to configure the new system.
> Using more than one Firewall, or any other protection software, is a
> Gate to Trouble Land, and probably also the reason for the multiple naming.
> If you insist on using the 3rd party software disable all of its
> counterparts.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Make sure that all the computer are configured with the same
>>> workgroup name, and each one has its own unique name.
>>> As for sharing.
>>> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free
>>> local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
>>> Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to
>>> your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone
>>> (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
>>> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
>>> Windows XP File Sharing -
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
>>> Printer Sharing XP -
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
>>> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
>>> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>>> When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>> Yes, all have the same workgroup name. My firewall is provided by
>> McAfee (possibly) and I suppose Windows. I'm pretty sure the Window
>> firewall is on for all three. I just looked at McAfee, and it seems to
>> have one firewall protection, which is lockdown firewall, which
>> apparently means for this Den PC.
>>
>> Ah, they have something called security center. Yes, it seems to be
>> on. However, as I just posted moments ago, I now can get to the Den PC
>> from Met by using the shortcut idea. I'm pretty sure I can get here
>> from the Astro PC, as well. So what good is their firewall doing me?
>> Protecting from internet intruders? Actually, that's what a short note
>> on the on/off dialog says.

I just realized that Den does not get the internet directly and pass
things on to the others. It's tempting to think of the path from the
modem into the house as going right through the Den PC. The internet
line via the modem goes to a hub outside the house, and the signal is
sent to all three. However, I think the modem has some sort of firewall.
So where is McAfee in all this? It's only on the PC in the Den. I guess
I don't really need it, since it has the Win firewall.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
If the Modem is actually a Modem Router combo, then indeed the Router part
has a NAT Firewall. You still need a software Firewall on the computers
because the NAT Firewall is a one way firewall (see here,
http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html ).
The Router's Part of the Modem would appear has a Network Device on the
Network map.

From: GTS on

"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> I have a LAN with three XP Pro computers. Each one seems to have its own
> way of displaying the results of using My Network Places.
>
> The one in my den shows the other two, but it is broken into two sections,
> The Internet and Unspecified. Unspecified shows Computers Near Me, which
> will, if opened, show the other two, and sometimes my laptop if I have it
> on the LAN.
>
> The Internet shows three entries all related to the other two PCs. It
> contains under the Comments header, items like \\ComputerB\Blah, Blah. A
> column called Network Location shows The Internet for each entry. That's
> troubling if this means they are open to the internet.
>
> One PC shows little more than two items it's will to share, but one
> section called Local Networks. This PC sees neither of the other two
> machines, but they see it.
>
> The third PC is somewhat like the one in the Den, but has a section called
> Local Area Networks and Unspecified. Under Unspecified is Nearby Networks.
>
> There's definitely a lack of uniformity here. Comments?

It might help to enable NetBIOS on all the machines.