From: W. eWatson on
I have a LAN with three XP Pro computers. Each one seems to have its own
way of displaying the results of using My Network Places.

The one in my den shows the other two, but it is broken into two
sections, The Internet and Unspecified. Unspecified shows Computers Near
Me, which will, if opened, show the other two, and sometimes my laptop
if I have it on the LAN.

The Internet shows three entries all related to the other two PCs. It
contains under the Comments header, items like \\ComputerB\Blah, Blah. A
column called Network Location shows The Internet for each entry. That's
troubling if this means they are open to the internet.

One PC shows little more than two items it's will to share, but one
section called Local Networks. This PC sees neither of the other two
machines, but they see it.

The third PC is somewhat like the one in the Den, but has a section
called Local Area Networks and Unspecified. Under Unspecified is Nearby
Networks.

There's definitely a lack of uniformity here. Comments?

From: Anteaus on
Basically, the Network Places applet is never very reliable and I don't know
of any fix.

I would suggest either creating drive mappings
(net use driveletter: \\computer\share /user:username)
or else using UNC desktop shortcuts. To create the latter, just rightclick
the desktop and select New..Shortcut. Then type in \\computername\sharename
as the target.

Both of these methods are more reliable. I find that users prefer
driveletters as they can refer to these in programs' open/save dialogs
directly.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Make sure that all the computer are configured with the same workgroup name,
and each one has its own unique name.
As for sharing.
Firewall instructions.
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: W. eWatson on
Anteaus wrote:
> Basically, the Network Places applet is never very reliable and I don't know
> of any fix.
>
> I would suggest either creating drive mappings
> (net use driveletter: \\computer\share /user:username)
> or else using UNC desktop shortcuts. To create the latter, just rightclick
> the desktop and select New..Shortcut. Then type in \\computername\sharename
> as the target.
>
> Both of these methods are more reliable. I find that users prefer
> driveletters as they can refer to these in programs' open/save dialogs
> directly.
>
> "W. eWatson" wrote:
>
>> I have a LAN with three XP Pro computers. Each one seems to have its own
>> way of displaying the results of using My Network Places.
>>
>> The one in my den shows the other two, but it is broken into two
>> sections, The Internet and Unspecified. Unspecified shows Computers Near **Den**
>> Me, which will, if opened, show the other two, and sometimes my laptop
>> if I have it on the LAN.
>>
>> The Internet shows three entries all related to the other two PCs. It
>> contains under the Comments header, items like \\ComputerB\Blah, Blah. A
>> column called Network Location shows The Internet for each entry. That's
>> troubling if this means they are open to the internet.
>>
>> One PC shows little more than two items it's will to share, but one **Met**
>> section called Local Networks. This PC sees neither of the other two
>> machines, but they see it.
>>
>> The third PC is somewhat like the one in the Den, but has a section
>> called Local Area Networks and Unspecified. Under Unspecified is Nearby **Astro**
>> Networks.
>>
>> There's definitely a lack of uniformity here. Comments?
>>
>> .

Let me call the three PCs Den, Met, and Astro. Den has the fullest My
Network places. Met the least, and Astro almost on a par with Den. I've
used **name** above to identify the descriptions.

I tried your shortcut method on Met, and happily I can log into Den. Net
Places is pretty esoteric. Uniformity would be a good goal for the
implementers.

I guess I'll use the shortcut approach on that PC, but it sure would be
nice if I could see Computers Near Me as part of My Net Places.

From: W. eWatson on
Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:

> Hi
> Make sure that all the computer are configured with the same workgroup
> name, and each one has its own unique name.
> As for sharing.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall
> should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network
> IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your
> 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> There's definitely a lack of uniformity here. Comments?

Yes, all have the same workgroup name. My firewall is provided by McAfee
(possibly) and I suppose Windows. I'm pretty sure the Window firewall is
on for all three. I just looked at McAfee, and it seems to have one
firewall protection, which is lockdown firewall, which apparently means
for this Den PC.

Ah, they have something called security center. Yes, it seems to be on.
However, as I just posted moments ago, I now can get to the Den PC
from Met by using the shortcut idea. I'm pretty sure I can get here from
the Astro PC, as well. So what good is their firewall doing me?
Protecting from internet intruders? Actually, that's what a short note
on the on/off dialog says.