From: Karl E. Peterson on
Hi --

I'm having some trouble fully understanding the AutoPublish feature of
XP Mode. What I thought I understood was, anything added to the
AllUsers start menu would show up in the Host start menu. Well, I'm
having mixed luck with that. I'm not sure I have the terminology to
correctly describe the problem, which leads me to very few clues via
Google.

For instance, I installed one app, and it put it's start menu entry
under AllUsers. Great. That showed up there. I copied the actual
application icon up into the general folder, so it's one layer higher,
and it shows up just fine.

Another app installed it's startup menu in my profile menu. So I moved
that to the AllUsers, and again this shows up in the host start menu
now. But, if I try to copy the specific application icon to the folder
one higher, that doesn't show up in the Host.

And, this latest application forced the install of the .NET Framework
1.1, which added two entries to the Administrative Tools startup menu
under All Users. Now *these* show up in the Host, but nothing else in
that folder does.

These rules are baffling. Basically, I thought anything here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Would appear in the Host, but that's clearly not the case as much of
what Windows itself installs doesn't and some other things don't
either. What's the actual rule(s)?

To clarify, when above I say "appears in the Host", this is what I see:

Start
Windows Virtual PC
[VM Name]
MainApp-1
Adiministrative Tools
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Wizards
MainApp-1-StartupFolder
MainApp-1
MainApp-2-StartupFolder
MainApp-2

I'd like to get an icon for MainApp-2 up there above AdminTools.
Shortcuts to both are absolutely, positively here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: RCan on
Hi Karl,

that could help you to bring some lights into the autopublish feature of XP
mode ->
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706515%28WS.10%29.aspx

In addition there must be also a registry tree which I can't remember right
know (have no XP mode machine available for now) where the published
application are stored.

Regards
Ramazan

From: Karl E. Peterson on
RCan used his keyboard to write :
> Hi Karl,
>
> that could help you to bring some lights into the autopublish feature of XP
> mode ->
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706515%28WS.10%29.aspx

That's a great article! It addressed another problem I had with
auxilliary startup apps. So the Run keys in the registry are fired
off, but the StartUp menu entries apparently aren't. By design. Good
to know!

Unfortunately, all the conditions for troubleshooting the missing
published app would seem to have been met. :-(

> In addition there must be also a registry tree which I can't remember right
> know (have no XP mode machine available for now) where the published
> application are stored.

Interesting. In the guest's registry, or the host? Yes, I'm finding
entries under HKCU\Software\Classes, but they don't look to be ones
that are easily spoofed. Same with
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VirtualPC\VPCVApps. Damn interesting thought,
though!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org