From: ohaya on
Hi,

I created a guest, running Windows XP Professional, using VPC 2007 SP1.
This was on Windows 7 64-bit.

That VPC guest is/was running fine.

I shutdown the guest, and copied the VHD files (there are 3 for this
guest) and the VMC file, and took them to the office.

At the office, I have a machine running Windows 2003, also with VPC 2007
SP1.

I copied the VMC and VHD files, and added the guest to VPC 2007 SP1
using "Add an existing virtual machine".

When I tried to run the guest, it was REALLY slow, and actually after
shutting down the guest and starting it again, it eventually got to the
point that during the startup, when it's displaying the scrolling bar,
the bar stopped scrolling completely. I waited quite awhile, but the
guest just hung at that point :(...

I removed the guest from VPC, and re-copied the files, and each time, it
did the same thing.

When it hangs, the status on the bottom of the guest window shows no
disk or network activity.

I also tried setting the guest network to "Local only", and still the
same thing.

I also tried setting processor affinity on VirtualPC.exe to a single
CPU, but same thing...

I haven't tried using just the VHD files, without the copied VMC file,
yet, but has anyone seen anything like that, and know what to do about
this problem?

Thanks,
Jim
From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:33:05 -0500, ohaya <ohaya(a)cox.net> wrote:

>I haven't tried using just the VHD files, without the copied VMC file,
>yet, but has anyone seen anything like that, and know what to do about
>this problem?

That is exactly what you should have done!
Never copy the vmc file when you move a virtual machine to a different
host! Just create a new one on the new host and then let it use the
existing VHD files.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: ohaya on
On 1/26/2010 9:04 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:33:05 -0500, ohaya<ohaya(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried using just the VHD files, without the copied VMC file,
>> yet, but has anyone seen anything like that, and know what to do about
>> this problem?
>
> That is exactly what you should have done!
> Never copy the vmc file when you move a virtual machine to a different
> host! Just create a new one on the new host and then let it use the
> existing VHD files.

Bo,

Yes, that was what I thought about AFTER I got home :)...

I'll give it a try again when I'm back in the office.

Thanks,
Jim
From: ohaya on
On 1/26/2010 2:26 PM, ohaya wrote:
> On 1/26/2010 9:04 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:33:05 -0500, ohaya<ohaya(a)cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't tried using just the VHD files, without the copied VMC file,
>>> yet, but has anyone seen anything like that, and know what to do about
>>> this problem?
>>
>> That is exactly what you should have done!
>> Never copy the vmc file when you move a virtual machine to a different
>> host! Just create a new one on the new host and then let it use the
>> existing VHD files.
>>

> Bo,
>
> Yes, that was what I thought about AFTER I got home :)...
>
> I'll give it a try again when I'm back in the office.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Bo,

Actually, I've noticed that this same problem is happening on the
original guest, on the original machine where I created the guest. I
just was doing some work with the guest today, and I had shut it down
about 1/2 hour ago, and I tried starting it again, and now it's hung on
that scrolling bar page :(!!

I'm running VPC 2007 SP1, and I have a lot of other guests, and it's
only having this problem with this one Windows XP Pro guest. The VPC
Additions are installed on the guest.

Any idea why this is happening? Is there something about WinXP Pro when
it's a guest (this may be the only XP Pro guest I have..).

Thanks,
Jim
From: ohaya on
On 1/27/2010 7:58 PM, ohaya wrote:
> On 1/26/2010 2:26 PM, ohaya wrote:

>>> That is exactly what you should have done!
>>> Never copy the vmc file when you move a virtual machine to a different
>>> host! Just create a new one on the new host and then let it use the
>>> existing VHD files.
>>>

>> Bo,
>>
>> Yes, that was what I thought about AFTER I got home :)...
>>
>> I'll give it a try again when I'm back in the office.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>

> Bo,
>
> Actually, I've noticed that this same problem is happening on the
> original guest, on the original machine where I created the guest. I
> just was doing some work with the guest today, and I had shut it down
> about 1/2 hour ago, and I tried starting it again, and now it's hung on
> that scrolling bar page :(!!
>

> I'm running VPC 2007 SP1, and I have a lot of other guests, and it's
> only having this problem with this one Windows XP Pro guest. The VPC
> Additions are installed on the guest.
>
> Any idea why this is happening? Is there something about WinXP Pro when
> it's a guest (this may be the only XP Pro guest I have..).
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

This is getting a little strange :(... After about 4 minutes stalled,
the guest started running again...

I've tried this a couple of times, and it's similar each time. Win XP
Pro stalls at startup for about 3-4 minutes.

Any ideas?

My host is Win7 64-bit Ultimate.

Thanks,
Jim