From: Bison405 on
Here's a simple but elegant way to do this:
Put the list of names in column A. I'm using 10 names but the list could be
as long as you like if you adjust accordingly.

In cells A1 through A10, enter numbers, names, or any list you want to
randomize
In cell B1, enter =RAND() and copy down to B10
In cell C1, enter =OFFSET($A$1,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$10)-1,0) and copy to cell
C10

This will copy all the "Names" in column A in column C but in a random order
that changes every time you press the F9 key. If you want them as random
pairings, put:
=C1 in cell D1 and copy down to D5, then put
=C6 in cell E1 and copy down to E5.
Pair Column D with Column E

Clearly you need an even number of "players" in column A with half going to
Column D and half to column E.

"Dave" wrote:

> Thanks Max. That works!
>
> I have a couple of other formulas in my score card I may need help with.
> I'll let you know.
>
> Again, thank you.
> Dave
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
> > Try this working sample which illustrates 2 random scrambles:
> > 1. 22 items into a 2C x 11R grid (this should be what you're after)
> > 2. 21 items into a 3C x 7R grid (the earlier response)
> >
> > http://freefilehosting.net/download/3lh0e
> > Random scrambling a col list n rearrange into a grid.xls
> > --
> > Max
> > Singapore
> > http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> > Downloads:17,400 Files:358 Subscribers:55
> > xdemechanik
> > ---
> > "Dave" wrote:
> > > Hi Max,
> > > I tried that but it gets 0's #ref along with some names. The formula
> > > joeu2004 gave me works, it just allows duplicates and I need all names
> > > paired. This is for a golf tournament where I pair players at random.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave

Pages: 1
Prev: Blank space