From: CJB on
On May 10, 2:56 am, "Tina Clarke" <TinaCla...(a)any-expression.com>
wrote:
> "Dennis" <nob...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 8 May 2010 00:00:56 -0700, <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >>This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> >>newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> > Is there a FP Client forum?
>
> > --
>
> > Dennis
>
> No you will have to use the Expression Web and SuperPreview forum ...
>
> Tina
> Free Expression Web Toolbar - Expression Web and Web Design Resourceshttp://frontpage-to-expression.com/expression-web-community-toolbar.html
> Fresh EW Links - Make YOUR suggestions
> Will work in FireFox IE and Safari

Interesting process "and transitioning users to Microsoft forums" -
erm - exactly how are they going to 'transition users'?

Also how are they going to close the groups since the archives are
hosted on Google Groups and other dbs.?

What is bad about the new MS forums is that they are so SLOW in
responding.

CJB.
From: CJB on
wrote:
> "Dennis" <nob...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 8 May 2010 00:00:56 -0700, <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >>This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> >>newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> > Is there a FP Client forum?
>
> > --
>
> > Dennis
>
> No you will have to use the Expression Web and SuperPreview forum ...
>
> Tina
> Free Expression Web Toolbar - Expression Web and Web Design Resourceshttp://frontpage-to-expression.com/expression-web-community-toolbar.html
> Fresh EW Links - Make YOUR suggestions
> Will work in FireFox IE and Safari

It should be possible to re-create the MS forums in the alt.
hierarchy.

This would be good for retaining informal - but valuable - peer-peer
support on Usenet for discontinued products like Front Page for which
there is still a huge user-base.

It is appalling that Microsoft - in its usual arrogance towards its
long suffering users - is withdrawing ALL support for FP and not even
including FP in its new forums.

CJB.
From: Ronx on
CJB laid this down on his screen :

> It should be possible to re-create the MS
> forums in the alt. hierarchy.

> This would be good for retaining informal - but
> valuable - peer-peer support on Usenet for
> discontinued products like Front Page for which
> there is still a huge user-base.

> It is appalling that Microsoft - in its usual
> arrogance towards its long suffering users - is
> withdrawing ALL support for FP and not even
> including FP in its new forums.

> CJB.
In your previous post you said that it is impossible to close the newsgroups. Some servers may follow Microsoft's lead and remove the groups from their servers, however, most wont.
As an example, the group
microsoft.public.frontpage still exists in the "wild", but was removed from Microsofts own servers sometime last century (1997 or thereabouts).
The posting level on microsoft.public.frontpage is, however, only about 6 posts per year, including SPAM.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

From: Stefan B Rusynko on
Not correct
The FP Client posts are recommended to be transitioned to
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addworks/threads
(just filter it for FrontPage Only)
and not to the Expression web forums
- although general html / css design questions could be posted in the EW forums

From: Dennis on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:45:13 +0100, Ronx <ronx917(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>In your previous post you said that it is impossible to close the newsgroups. Some servers may follow Microsoft's lead and remove the groups from their servers, however, most wont.
>As an example, the group
>microsoft.public.frontpage still exists in the "wild", but was removed from Microsofts own servers sometime last century (1997 or thereabouts).
>The posting level on microsoft.public.frontpage is, however, only about 6 posts per year, including SPAM.

Good point. I had forgotten all about the decentralization of USENET.
microsoft.public.frontpage.client may linger on for quite a while,
especially since there doesn't seem to be an obvious forum for the
traffic to migrate to.

--

Dennis