From: Stefan B Rusynko on
The recommended migration for all FrontPage Forums path is to
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addworks/threads
(just filter the Application for FrontPage - to not see the Works/PhotoDraw posts)

"Dennis" <nobody(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:e6ufu5ht1002r4g8dit27rfq07o64fspls(a)4ax.com...
On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:45:13 +0100, Ronx <ronx917(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>In your previous post you said that it is impossible to close the newsgroups. Some servers may follow Microsoft's lead and remove
>the groups from their servers, however, most wont.
>As an example, the group
>microsoft.public.frontpage still exists in the "wild", but was removed from Microsofts own servers sometime last century (1997 or
>thereabouts).
>The posting level on microsoft.public.frontpage is, however, only about 6 posts per year, including SPAM.

Good point. I had forgotten all about the decentralization of USENET.
microsoft.public.frontpage.client may linger on for quite a while,
especially since there doesn't seem to be an obvious forum for the
traffic to migrate to.

--

Dennis

From: Dennis on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:02:15 -0400, "Stefan B Rusynko"
<sbr_enjoy(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>The recommended migration for all FrontPage Forums path is to
>http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addworks/threads
>(just filter the Application for FrontPage - to not see the Works/PhotoDraw posts)

Can you filter using NNTP Bridge?

--

Dennis
From: Ronx on
You may be able to set up rules in your newsreader to ignore everything EXCEPT posts containing "FrontPage" in message or subject, and to hide the ignored messages. This may not be 100% perfect, though. The bridge itself will deliver everything it finds to the newsreader, and is not configurable.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

Dennis laid this down on his screen :

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Dennis wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:45:13 +0100, Ronx <ronx917(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In your previous post you said that it is impossible to close the
>> newsgroups. Some servers may follow Microsoft's lead and remove the groups
>> from their servers, however, most wont. As an example, the group
>> microsoft.public.frontpage still exists in the "wild", but was removed from
>> Microsofts own servers sometime last century (1997 or thereabouts). The
>> posting level on microsoft.public.frontpage is, however, only about 6 posts
>> per year, including SPAM.
>
> Good point. I had forgotten all about the decentralization of USENET.
> microsoft.public.frontpage.client may linger on for quite a while,
> especially since there doesn't seem to be an obvious forum for the
> traffic to migrate to.

Unfortunately, there appears to be one very self-important yahoo out
there that's being recognized as an "authoritative" source for rmgroup
requests across a broad swath of usenet. For instance, two very
popular *free* servers (www.aioe.org / www.eternal-september.org) seem
to be accepting his requests. None of the rogue groups exist in either
place.

See this thread:
Microsoft is planning on phasing out newsgroups -
news.admin.hierarchies
http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.hierarchies/browse_thread/thread/67439c68236e7e35

Doesn't paint a very purty picture... :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Stefan B Rusynko wrote:
> Same announcement also recommends for all VBA questions to go to
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvvba/threads/

All(!) VBA questions, regardless of what object model they're operating
under, go into a single group? <LOL> Morons...

Where is this list of suggestions, anyway? I haven't seen it.

Thanks...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org