From: Eduardo on
Michel Posseth [MCP] escribi�:

> download the new executable , rename your current running executable

You cannot rename a running executable because it's locked.
From: Nobody on
"Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:hah93c$5l0$1(a)aioe.org...
> Michel Posseth [MCP] escribi�:
>
>> download the new executable , rename your current running executable
>
> You cannot rename a running executable because it's locked.

In Windows 2000+, you can rename EXE/DLL files while they are in
use(assuming you have permissions). This can be used like Michel Posseth
suggested. It's documented here(which is also in MSDN Library - October
2001):

Dynamic-Link Library Updates:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682604(VS.85).aspx

I am not sure what extensions are supported, but it doesn't include
non-executables, such as TXT files. These cannot be renamed while in use.

See also:

Restart Manager(In Vista and after)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc948910(VS.85).aspx

From: Eduardo on
Nobody escribi�:
> "Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:hah93c$5l0$1(a)aioe.org...
>> Michel Posseth [MCP] escribi�:
>>
>>> download the new executable , rename your current running executable
>> You cannot rename a running executable because it's locked.
>
> In Windows 2000+, you can rename EXE/DLL files while they are in
> use(assuming you have permissions). This can be used like Michel Posseth
> suggested. It's documented here(which is also in MSDN Library - October
> 2001):
>
> Dynamic-Link Library Updates:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682604(VS.85).aspx
>
> I am not sure what extensions are supported, but it doesn't include
> non-executables, such as TXT files. These cannot be renamed while in use.
>
> See also:
>
> Restart Manager(In Vista and after)
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc948910(VS.85).aspx

Interesting, but I don't see that it applies also to exes.

Technically it should be possible.
From: Nobody on
"Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:hahqla$r2b$1(a)aioe.org...
> Nobody escribi�:
>> In Windows 2000+, you can rename EXE/DLL files while they are in
>> use(assuming you have permissions). This can be used like Michel Posseth
>> suggested. It's documented here(which is also in MSDN Library - October
>> 2001):
>>
>> Dynamic-Link Library Updates:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682604(VS.85).aspx
>>
>> I am not sure what extensions are supported, but it doesn't include
>> non-executables, such as TXT files. These cannot be renamed while in use.
>>
>> See also:
>>
>> Restart Manager(In Vista and after)
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc948910(VS.85).aspx
>
> Interesting, but I don't see that it applies also to exes.

I already tried it on Windows 2000. I renamed a copy of MSPAINT.EXE while
it's open, and it was successful. I then tried to delete the file, and
Windows wouldn't let me. So the file is open somehow.

From: Eduardo on
Nobody escribi�:
> "Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:hahqla$r2b$1(a)aioe.org...
>> Nobody escribi�:
>>> In Windows 2000+, you can rename EXE/DLL files while they are in
>>> use(assuming you have permissions). This can be used like Michel Posseth
>>> suggested. It's documented here(which is also in MSDN Library - October
>>> 2001):
>>>
>>> Dynamic-Link Library Updates:
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682604(VS.85).aspx
>>>
>>> I am not sure what extensions are supported, but it doesn't include
>>> non-executables, such as TXT files. These cannot be renamed while in use.
>>>
>>> See also:
>>>
>>> Restart Manager(In Vista and after)
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc948910(VS.85).aspx
>> Interesting, but I don't see that it applies also to exes.
>
> I already tried it on Windows 2000. I renamed a copy of MSPAINT.EXE while
> it's open, and it was successful. I then tried to delete the file, and
> Windows wouldn't let me. So the file is open somehow.

Yes, it works. I didn't know that.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Component Handles
Next: ItemData screwed up after sort ???