From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Rick Raisley" <heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-Tnet> wrote:

>Lots of valid suggestions here. The method I'd use, though, would be:
>
>* Within your main program, have code that checks for updates. Manually or
>timed, whatever. If an update is available, ask the user if they want to
>download it.
>
>* Now, I would never send out a single exe of the main program, I'd send out
>a Setup that included the main program, as well as anything else required.
>So that Setup program is what you're downloading.

This utility is different. It's meant for developer types to make the
job of updating Access front end MDB/MDEs on user systems easier. So
the dev downloads a zip file, creates an INI file with settings and
puts the VB exe and the INI file on the server. Then he emails
shortcuts to the users for their initial install (or directs them to a
shortcut on as server share or other methods.) The user then clicks on
the shortcut, the utility downloads the latest copy of the FE
MDB/MDEs, creates shortcuts on their desktop or quick launch and
starts up the FE MDB/MDEs. Then the next time the user needs the
app they just click on the shortcut and if a new copy of the FE
MDB/MDE is available the utility automatically downloads the updated
file.

Anyhow to make a long story short I don't distribute it as a setup and
I doubt I ever will.

>* When download is complete, the main program knows that. It can ask the
>user if they want to install now. If so, shell out to the Setup program, and
>exit the running main program.

BTW it's only the developer type who would get the message that there
is an update to the utility to download.

Ahhh ooops. Now that I think about it I don't need the capability I
originally requested. See my reply to myself. Although there is a
small exe I will be creating in the future which will be in the users
system tray that this would be very useful for..

>The only problem with start-up programs that check for updates themselves is
>that nothing else is going on when they're checking. While in your main
>program, the user can be actually using the program, while checks for newer
>versions are made in the background (with or without initial consent by the
>user).

Yes but, this will be the developer who is doing the check for updates
once a week or month or other time interval. And the form will pop
up asking them if they want to check for updates. At this point I
don't think I ever want it to automatically check for updates. I
think the tool will have more credibility if it asks for permission
first.

>Oh, and I've tried a couple of the better programs to check for updates, and
>for making incremental upgrade installs, and found them both to be a pain,
>and not worth the trouble or cost. Just FYI. Your mileage will vary.

Nope, I'm going to do this all myself. I figure it should take about
a day, maybe two of solid coding and testing including the various
bells and whistles.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Eduardo on
Tony Toews [MVP] escribi�:
> Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yes, it works. I didn't know that.
>> After doing that for some reason the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall went
>> crazy using the 100% of the CPU. I had to reboot.
>
> Hahahahaha. Oh dear.

I didn't tell what happened after.

After the reboot, the comodo service still run at 97-98%.
I coundn't even uninstall Comodo with that CPU load.

I managed to disable the service with msconfig.
Then rebooted and I was able to uninstall Comodo.

After that, the internet connection didn't work any more. The Vista
network repair utility didn't repair it.

I found some Comodo driver in the Network functions of the internet
connection's properties.
I disabled it.

The internet connection didn't work anyway, and the repair utility
didn't repair it anyway.

I cound't connect to internet to download Comodo again. But I was lucky
that I had an old version downloaded in the HD.
I installed it.

I could connect to internet again.
But Comodo showed a message saying it wasn't working properly...

It's a long story. It took a couple of Comodo reinstallations, several
reboots.
At one time Windows didn't boot any more. I had to repair the system
from the CD.

I spent several hours with this joke.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:

>>> After doing that for some reason the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall went
>>> crazy using the 100% of the CPU. I had to reboot.
>>
>> Hahahahaha. Oh dear.
>
>I didn't tell what happened after.

<snip>

>I spent several hours with this joke.

Ouch. That's *NO* joke.

I'm thinking I'd better not try renaming and replacing then. And now
that I think about it I don't think I need to even if in version 2.3
(or whatever) I add a client program that resides in the system tray
icon.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Eduardo on
Tony Toews [MVP] escribi�:

>>> Hahahahaha. Oh dear.
>> I didn't tell what happened after.
>>
> <snip>
>
>> I spent several hours with this joke.
>
> Ouch. That's *NO* joke.
>
> I'm thinking I'd better not try renaming and replacing then. And now
> that I think about it I don't think I need to even if in version 2.3
> (or whatever) I add a client program that resides in the system tray
> icon.
>
> Tony

No, it's not a joke.
But I think may be Comodo the culprit.

I renamed two or three running exe files (non system files) and then
back to their original names. That was the test.

Comodo internet security is more or less good, but the best feature is
that it's free.
It's antivirus has a lot of false positives, even the VB6 PDW setup.exe
is tagged as a virus.

One time it detected winlogon.exe as virus (I was innocent at that time
about Comodo's false positives) and ckicked "yes" to fix it.
I had a hard time also that day to make Windows to boot again.

When I have a doubt about a file, I use http://www.virustotal.com
From: Dee Earley on
On 08/10/2009 06:18, Eduardo wrote:
> Tony Toews [MVP] escribi�:

>>> After doing that for some reason the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall went
>>> crazy using the 100% of the CPU. I had to reboot.
>>
>> Hahahahaha. Oh dear.
>
> I didn't tell what happened after.
>
> After the reboot, the comodo service still run at 97-98%.
> I coundn't even uninstall Comodo with that CPU load.
>
> I managed to disable the service with msconfig.
> Then rebooted and I was able to uninstall Comodo.
>
> After that, the internet connection didn't work any more. The Vista
> network repair utility didn't repair it.
>
> I found some Comodo driver in the Network functions of the internet
> connection's properties.
> I disabled it.
>
> The internet connection didn't work anyway, and the repair utility
> didn't repair it anyway.
>
> I cound't connect to internet to download Comodo again. But I was lucky
> that I had an old version downloaded in the HD.
> I installed it.
>
> I could connect to internet again.
> But Comodo showed a message saying it wasn't working properly...
>
> It's a long story. It took a couple of Comodo reinstallations, several
> reboots.
> At one time Windows didn't boot any more. I had to repair the system
> from the CD.
>
> I spent several hours with this joke.

And the moral is.. don't use mspaint :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Component Handles
Next: ItemData screwed up after sort ???