From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:

>One of these things is about the rights.
>You'll need to run as admin to do that on Vista.

Note that my utility resides on the server and not inside Program
Files so I don't need to worry about admin rights.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>Is the EXE to be replaced inside "Program Files"?

Excellent point but no. The VB6 exe resides on the server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Michel Posseth [MCP]" <msdn(a)posseth.com> wrote:

>You can do another nice trick ,
>
>download the new executable , rename your current running executable (
>give it bck or .prev extension for instance ) , copy your new executable to
>the location of the running executable
>show the user a message that he should restart the executable ( or kill the
>current app , and start the new exe ) the new exectable could on startup
>delete the previous files left over

Now that is a neat trick. Yowzer. I'd better test that in Win 7 and
Win 2008 Server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:

>> Yes, it works. I didn't know that.
>
>After doing that for some reason the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall went
>crazy using the 100% of the CPU. I had to reboot.

Hahahahaha. Oh dear.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>I'm going to be adding the ability to check for updates to my VB6
>utility.

You know I just realized something. I should never have asked this
question in the first place. I was getting too fancy with my
thinking.

It's a developer who sets up this utility in the first place and
places it on the network. That person is the only person who will
have the utility check for updates. And all I want to do is download
the zip file and tell the dev it's available. (And likely open up
Windows explorer to that folder so the dev can just click on the zip
file.

It's up to them to review any changes to how it works, test it, and
then deploy the new exe to the server.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Although this is a very interesting
discussion and version 3 of my utility could actually use some of the
update in place tricks mentioned in this thread.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last